hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinoman

Reaction score
I always put my hops in a muslin bag and take the bag out at the end of boil before I cool down the must. The batch I will be brewing calls for the last hop addition (1 oz cascade) last 2 min of boil. should I still take out the muslin bag at end of boil or let it in until the wort is cooled .......Thanks

Vinoman

Hops are left in for the cooling. Sometimes, a recipe will call for an extended time at something like 160 (whirlpool hops), but otherwise just assume you add your hops at 15/5/2/0/whatever and leave them in until the wort is cooled.

I use a hops spider and have been pulling the hop bag out of the brew kettle prior to cooling. Have I been doing this wrong all this time???

I've done it both ways, but leaving them in while chilling seems to be a hair better. I add hops loose in the boil now anyway.

Union, Thanks I used to do the loose hope thing and I think I had better unilization but draining the kettle was a mess. I just use the big bag. I'm going to try leaving the bag in till cool.

Since my fermenters are buckets & the older Cooper's model, I have plenty of room for the dual layer fine mesh 10 1/4" strainer I use to strain the gunk out. I pour the chilled wort through it till I get down to the gunk at the bottom & stop. I get all but a small amount of the liquid mixed with trub & hop gunk. But that's pellet hop gunk. On the rare occasion I use Whole leaf hops, it makes a bulkier mess that takes emptying the strainer a couple of times.

Back