Hop addition at flame-out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golphur

Reaction score
So when a recipe calls for a hop addition at flame-out, do you just drop it in and start your chill? Or do you stir it? Wait any amount of time? Seems like the hops just kind of float around if you aren't boiling or give it a stir.

My american amber ale called for the same thing, i just added the hops in, turned off the burner and started the wort chiller...didnt stir or do anything. By the time the wort hits 100 i think they were dissolved enough. Thanks what i did, and it turned out fine.

When the flame goes out, the hops go in. Avoid splashing when you stir hot wort, don't want any hot side areation (sp).

Awesome, thanks for the replies. I did the same. Dropped them in and started chilling. We'll see how it turn out in about 3-4 weeks ;)

At flameout, I've let the hops sit for 30 minutes (with the lid partially on the kettle) before I put in the wort chiller.

Add the hops, remove pot from heat. Stir to get them wet if you want). Place lid on pan and leave for 15+ minutes. Then cool.

It will stay above pasteurizing temperature so there is no risk of infection. Leaving it hot (not boiling) will allow more of the hop oils to be extracted as opposed to cooling immediately. And since you are not boiling, they are not being boiled off.

A fellow brewer and I were talking about this a few days ago. He heard a Podcast with Tasty McDole where he was saying, he normally kills the heat, adds the hops and then starts his whirlpool. He uses a pump and lets it run for 30 minutes.

I don't have a pump so I doubt I will whirlpool for 30 minutes, but I will stir and let it sit from now on.

Back