honey nut ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster101

Reaction score
Going to brew a honey nut extract kit. There are a lot of opinions on when to add the honey to the wort. Anyone have any personal experience?

Add at 5 min. I've added it throughout fermentation in stages for a little more flavor.I like honey malt. More info on Brewing with honey

Adding it to the secondary is the best way I've found. I've never used honey malt, but have heard it's the best way to get the honey flavor to show through.

I prefer adding honey a few days into fermentation, before it really slows down, but there is already some alcohol present.

And I have used honey malt a couple times. It definitely has the flavor of honey which comes through. I can't say there's much noticeable honey flavor at all from actual honey, at least the typical lighter varieties.

Quaker said:
I prefer adding honey a few days into fermentation, before it really slows down, but there is already some alcohol present.

And I have used honey malt a couple times. It definitely has the flavor of honey which comes through. I can't say there's much noticeable honey flavor at all from actual honey, at least the typical lighter varieties.

How do you add it to primary without risking splashing and oxidation?

Do you risk infection adding it after the wort has cooled, or while its fermenting? I would think you need to add it to the boiling wort prior to cooling and fermentation.

brewmaster101 said:
Do you risk infection adding it after the wort has cooled, or while its fermenting? I would think you need to add it to the boiling wort prior to cooling and fermentation.

My understanding is that adding it to the boil is safe for obvious reasons, but you lose all the honey flavor through fermentation. Adding it to the secondary, or after some fermentation, is safe because there's enough alcohol at that point to kill any nasties in the honey.

I heard on the Basic Brewing podcast about a guy who had added honey at flameout, which is a risk because no pastuerization occurred.

Correct. Similar to dry hopping, adding after some fermentation relies on the alcohol to prevent or subdue any infection. Many mead makers don't boil their must.

You can warm it up some to let it flow smoothly. But the minimal splashing from pouring it in, won't hurt anything.

I've only used honey malt and honey once, both in the same recipe. I added honey after fermentation was complete. Another minor fermenation took place but you could really notice the aroma of the honey. I think I added too much honey malt but a lot of people liked it.

Take a one for one solution of honey and water. Bring that up to 160 for at least 15 minutes. Add to wort at flame out. This will only add a slight honey note and sweetness as the sugars are fermented out. If you use a lot of honey, definitely use a blow-off tube for your primary. If you want more of a honey taste, use it to prime for bottling using the steps above to pasteurize. I've also used honey malt with success.

Back