Fermented honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjb2287

Reaction score
How will fermented honey, such as ginger honey affect mead fermentation? I have some ginger honey that I made and I wanted to see if it would ferment or if I would have to add extra raw honey in to have enough sugar content to actually make mead? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Can you describe your ginger honey process? Unless you’ve done something drastically outside the realm of combining ginger and honey, I’d venture to say it should ferment almost identical to an equivalent honey (mead) batch.

I haven't done a honey ferment. I do ferment vegetables for sauerkraut, which uses lactobacillus. That might sour your mead. If you're unsure I suggest a small test batch.

Mix a hydrometer sized sample and see exactly what you've got?
See that is why I ask, because sometimes the best ideas are just out of reach lol
Can you describe your ginger honey process? Unless you’ve done something drastically outside the realm of combining ginger and honey, I’d venture to say it should ferment almost identical to an equivalent honey (mead) batch.
Peeled and chopped about a pound of ginger, mixed it in with 2.5 pounds of honey and let it ferment for about a month, burping it every few days to let the CO2 out.

Latest posts

Back