Honey Beer Order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sieglere

Reaction score
So I went to a honey farm's shop and I was chatting with the owner of the farm about how I was planning on using his honey in beer i'm brewing (the prices are competitive and since his honey is raw and unfiltered, it has more of the 'bits' that add to body and not just boozahol). In talking he was interested in me brewing him something (the farm would put up for the ingredients). The area the store is in has a lot of antique shops and apparently they have a weekly or monthly night where the antique stores have wine and other 'social' stuff as i guess both a cultural and business boost. The farm owner was thinking about possibly featuring this hypothetical beer at his shop for something like this. I was wondering what a good "honey" beer would be. (recipes in extract form would be great) It could be anything, but as they're going to try to use this beer to get people to the shop and have the honey be a prominent enough flavor that when people drink it they get honey (doesn't have to bludgeon you with honey, just be prominent).

Ideas?

Forgot to mention. I'm looking for a brew time of under 2 weeks (not including conditioning)

Maybe a good pale ale with a few pounds of honey added as you are chilling the beer.

6 lbs. of some kind of malt extract
1/2 lb. Crystal 20
1/2 lb. CaraPils
2 lbs. honey (add when chilling)

1 oz. Cascade (60 mins)
1/2 oz. Cascade (15 mins)
1/2 oz. Cascade (5 mins)

This is just off the top of my head, but sounds good to me. :)

Good luck!

Everyone loves my honey wheat. An extract version would be something like this.

Extract Honey Wheat

Style: American Wheat
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.63 %
Calories: 182
IBU's: 20.63
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color: 5.3 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.053 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 10 days @ 68.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
3.00 lbs 40.00 % Extra Light Dry Extract 60 mins 1.044
3.00 lbs 40.00 % Briess Wheat DME 60 mins 1.043
8.00 ozs 6.67 % Honey Malt (steeped)

1.00 lbs 13.33 % Honey 10 minutes

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 15.14 Tettnang 60 mins 4.50
1.00 ozs 5.49 Tettnang 10 mins 4.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.00 pkg American Wheat Ale Wyeast Labs 1010

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.810

Sent from my iPhone

Everyone loves my honey wheat. An extract version would be something like this.

Extract Honey Wheat

Recently sampled Blue Moon Seasonal (Honey Wheat) at the bar while waiting to be seated for dinner. I like this beer, but, of course, it's the only Honey Wheat beer I've tasted.

I've only brewed 4x. These were from kits: Nut Brown Ale (MoreBeer), B3 Stout (Morebeer), American Wheat (Northern Brewer), and Smashing Pumpkin Ale (Northern Brewer). Three of these kits were extract + specialty grains for steeping; the Wheat was extract only.

Question: is the honey malt steeped as in the kits: 15-20 minutes while bringing the water temp up to 150*F? I'm assuming that, after this point, the bag containing the honey malt is removed and the extracts are added while stirring.

Thanks,
Keith

Back