Homemade hot sauce recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@passedpawn How are the fermenting ones coming along?

I pureed, added some vinegar, and it's in jars now. I did a smell comparison today and I'm 90% sure I like the cooked version better than the fermented version. The fermented one is like a belgian beer - it's got that odd dank smell.

I'm gonna do an apples/apples comparison in the next day or two, maybe do a blind test with a friend, to determine. But really, 1 month vs 15 minutes is a no-brainer in my book. I'm probably done fermenting hot sauce.

Should call that batch Funky Fire! Interested to hear the final tasting. What did you use to ferment (sorry if this was previously mentioned)?

@passedpawn

I tried fermenting peppers last year and came to the same conclusion. The fermented twang was not so great to me, but it was only my first time so who knows. I ended up blending and cooking some of those jars with vinegar and a little sugar so I could use them.

Should call that batch Funky Fire! Interested to hear the final tasting. What did you use to ferment (sorry if this was previously mentioned)?

I just chopped the peppers and put them in jars. That's it. Nothing else. Mother nature provided the microbes to do the fermenting. Some combination of wild yeast from the skins, airborne bacteria, who knows.

I just chopped the peppers and put them in jars. That's it. Nothing else. Mother nature provided the microbes to do the fermenting. Some combination of wild yeast from the skins, airborne bacteria, who knows.

Gotcha. You are braver than I to just fold in the mold and still consider eating it, lol... but I also have no experience with this kind of stuff. I'd love to get into cheese making, and would probably learn a thing or two. :)

Gotcha. You are braver than I to just fold in the mold and still consider eating it, lol... but I also have no experience with this kind of stuff. I'd love to get into cheese making, and would probably learn a thing or two. :)

Aged/fermented meats are much scarier. E.g., salami is completely uncooked, fermented, aged, pork. If you make it right, there's a nice layer of white mold coating the casing. For most fermented foods, you might not want to see it made.

When I make fermented hot sauces, I inoculate them with a Lacto culture from a "mother" that I keep in the fridge. I use this mother for all my fermented foods, i.e. kraut, pickles, hot sauce... Not only does this give me consistency, but it gives the right kind of Lacto bacteria a good head start over less desirable creatures.

My latest mother was started by using dregs from a jar of Bubbies fermented pickles. I really like their Lacto culture for all fermented foods. After each batch I pour some of the dregs back into the mother, building it up as the season goes on. Each year I dump the mother and start over. I've also had good luck with Caldwell starter culture.

Also, if you see mold, scrape it off immediately, and do not fold it back into the mixture. I've heard from some sources that it's not safe, some say it's OK to eat. Either way, everyone agrees that it doesn't taste good!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I make fermented hot sauces, I inoculate them with a Lacto culture from a "mother" that I keep in the fridge. I use this mother for all my fermented foods, i.e. kraut, pickles, hot sauce... Not only does this give me consistency, but it gives the right kind of Lacto bacteria a good head start over less desirable creatures.

My latest mother was started by using dregs from a jar of Bubbies fermented pickles. I really like their Lacto culture for all fermented foods. After each batch I pour some of the dregs back into the mother, building it up as the season goes on. Each year I dump the mother and start over. I've also had good luck with Caldwell starter culture.

Also, if you see mold, scrape it off immediately, and do not fold it back into the mixture. I've heard from some sources that it's not safe, some say it's OK to eat. Either way, everyone agrees that it doesn't taste good!

Hmmm, little late now :) The mold formed every couple of days, for over a month. There probably wouldn't be much hot sauce left if I had scraped it every time.

I doubt that scraping the mold off the top completely rids the food of the microbe. So, if it was bad for you, it's still there. Same with beer: trying to rack an infected beer from below the surface is similarly pointless.

I wouldn't say it tastes bad, but it is different. In something wicked strong like these sauces, you only taste the subtle fermentation flavors for a few seconds, then the flames burn down the place. I'll try to do a real comparison soon and drop a final note here on the subject.

Hmmm, little late now :) The mold formed every couple of days, for over a month. There probably wouldn't be much hot sauce left if I had scraped it every time.
Well, for future reference, anyway. :)

I don't ferment any vegetable foods for over 10 days, 7 days is typical. Any particular reason you chose to ferment for so long?

I doubt that scraping the mold off the top completely rids the food of the microbe. So, if it was bad for you, it's still there. Same with beer: trying to rack an infected beer from below the surface is similarly pointless.
Not necessarily true with fermenting food. The vegetable matter is submersed in the brine, which is too salty and acidic for mold to grow, which is why it only grows on the surface or around the rim of the crock.

I wouldn't say it tastes bad, but it is different. In something wicked strong like these sauces, you only taste the subtle fermentation flavors for a few seconds, then the flames burn down the place. I'll try to do a real comparison soon and drop a final note here on the subject.
I would wager that if you fermented for only a week, and scraped off mold (if any) instead of stirring it in, that the final product would taste much better. If you're seeing mold form every couple days, you might try putting some salt on the surface of the mash. That should keep mold at bay. You're right though; sometimes it's harder to tell with such hot pepper mashes.

:off: I know a little bit about the "mother" topic - my understanding (mainly from reading random things about kombucha and bread making) is its a beneficial mix of various bacterias and yeasts or other helpful organisms.

I did chuckle a bit recently after my wife bought a bottle of some organic apple cider vinegar which advertised in huge letters on the label "with the 'mother' still in it" or something like that. Now I've seen pictures of a big mother...(let the jokes begin :fro:)...but the bottle of vinegar had just an ever-so-slight dusting at the bottom (much less than your average bottle conditioned beer). Thought it was a bit of an overstatement I guess. Might take a few bottles to build up from those dregs...

:off: I know a little bit about the "mother" topic - my understanding (mainly from reading random things about kombucha and bread making) is its a beneficial mix of various bacterias and yeasts or other helpful organisms.
Indeed, the mother does consist of more than one type of microorganism. When you keep a mother going from previous batches, you accumulate all the tasty and successful organisms. When you inoculate a new batch from the mother, you give those organisms a head start over the low count of naturally occurring ones, with the intention of getting a tastier and more consistent final product.

...organic apple cider vinegar..."with the 'mother"...Might take a few bottles to build up from those dregs...
It doesn't take much, actually. I start my first batch with about a teaspoon of dregs from the Bubbies jar (for 4 lbs of cucumbers). I use more in subsequent batches once the mother has been built up, though.

Keep in mind, though, that adding your own culture isn't necessary; it just helps assure more consistency and control.

I have had good success with Calwell Lacto starters as well in my fermented vegetables....... Kraut, and spicy vegetable mixtures. When I take the veggies from the crock and transfer to Mason jars, I save a jar of juice and dump it right back in on top of next batch.... works great. I was thinking about fermenting some peppers later this summer and was planning to use a caldwell starter to ensure that it gets off to a good start.

I have had good success with Calwell Lacto starters as well in my fermented vegetables....... Kraut, and spicy vegetable mixtures. When I take the veggies from the crock and transfer to Mason jars, I save a jar of juice and dump it right back in on top of next batch.... works great. I was thinking about fermenting some peppers later this summer and was planning to use a caldwell starter to ensure that it gets off to a good start.

Good! I'm sure you won't be disappointed! I really like the Caldwell starter for kraut especially, but it did make some good hot sauces, too.

I appreciate the tip about Bubbies. I didn't use a starter for my peppers either and I did ferment them pretty long too, so maybe that's why they were a little funky.

I've also heard of people using kefir starters for peppers. Have you ever tried that?

I appreciate the tip about Bubbies. I didn't use a starter for my peppers either and I did ferment them pretty long too, so maybe that's why they were a little funky.

I've also heard of people using kefir starters for peppers. Have you ever tried that?

I've not tried kefir, no. I've heard others reporting good results, though.

My daughter picked up some Bubbies for me today. Should have them tomorrow. I will be asking questions on how to create a starter from them.

My daughter picked up some Bubbies for me today. Should have them tomorrow. I will be asking questions on how to create a starter from them.

It's quite simple. Swirl the jar so the brine turns cloudy. Pour maybe slightly less than 1/4 cup of the cloudy brine into your crock. Add rest of ingredients. Wait.

gnarly scotch bonnet

image_zpsmgj8zxz3.jpeg

image_zpsj5ieo4dz.jpeg

It's quite simple. Swirl the jar so the brine turns cloudy. Pour maybe slightly less than 1/4 cup of the cloudy brine into your crock. Add rest of ingredients. Wait.

Hey Tiber_Brew,

I just wanted to say I did some pepper slices here and added a tablespoon of the Bubbies juice and at 6 days I think they're really good. Thanks!

Picked these this morning, and picked up a pineapple and a couple of ripe mangos, along with carrots and onions at the store a little while ago. Have a couple of recipes I want to try, but have to leave in a few for my daughters birthday party, so my first hot sauce will have to wait till tonight or tomorrow, but I think I have everything I need!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1469908484.394268.jpg

Picked these this morning, and picked up a pineapple and a couple of ripe mangos, along with carrots and onions at the store a little while ago. Have a couple of recipes I want to try, but have to leave in a few for my daughters birthday party, so my first hot sauce will have to wait till tonight or tomorrow, but I think I have everything I need!!

You and me both. I'm making a batch of my world-famous Mango Habanero Prune hotsauce today. Yea, my world is pretty small.

So I usually just put out some Ancho and Salsa pepper plants but this year on a whim I set out a Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Scorpion with thoughts of trying to make some good hot sauce. As it turns out it looks like I'm going to have a bumper crop of Reapers and a good amount of Scorpions if anyone has suggestions or advice for someone who's never really made hot sauce before.

So I usually just put out some Ancho and Salsa pepper plants but this year on a whim I set out a Carolina Reaper and Trinidad Scorpion with thoughts of trying to make some good hot sauce. As it turns out it looks like I'm going to have a bumper crop of Reapers and a good amount of Scorpions if anyone has suggestions or advice for someone who's never really made hot sauce before.

I highly, highly recommend you dehydrate your super hots and make powder out of them. Of course you can make some sauce out of them but they are so hot that you'll end up with a ton of sauce. I sprinkle powder on almost every meal. You get the heat and the true flavor of the pepper instead of all the other ingredients that are in your sauce. Don't get me wrong ...I still love hot sauce and use it every day as well.

I highly, highly recommend you dehydrate your super hots and make powder out of them. Of course you can make some sauce out of them but they are so hot that you'll end up with a ton of sauce. I sprinkle powder on almost every meal. You get the heat and the true flavor of the pepper instead of all the other ingredients that are in your sauce. Don't get me wrong ...I still love hot sauce and use it every day as well.

I agree and do the same

When were growing a ton of cayenne peppers, I used a needle & thread to make long strings of them. then strung them around the kitchen near the sealing where the warmest, driest air is. They dried very nicely that way. Perfumes the kitchen real nice too!

If you do not have a dehydrator, what are alternative methods to dry them?

My favorite is smoking them. Adds a nice complexity and a bit of sweetness to the finished pepper blend. Oven works well too or even just leaving them out on a window sill does the trick though it takes longer. The key is cutting the pods open. This way they'll dry out instead of rotting.

I made this last fall and am still enjoying and sharing...

GOT Sauce:
Garlic, Onion, Tomato (in reverse order by weight) base sauce... Basically, REALLY garlicky/onion-y tomato bisque, brought to a boil. Add peppers (all fire roasted) bell, jalapeno, tabasco, cayenne, and habanero and blend.
Paste of the original recipe text:

5lbs mixed vine ripe tomatoes
15 cloves garlic
One large yellow onion
~30 red ripe Tabasco peppers
~20 red ripe Dragon Cayenne peppers
~15 orange ripe Habanero peppers
Six Jalapeno peppers
One red ripe sweet bell pepper
Garlic and onion from the store, tomatoes and all the peppers from my gardens.
All peppers roasted on BBQ grill and chilled.
Tomatoes chopped, cooked down, blended and cooked down some more.
While tomatoes were straining, garlic and onions sweated. Tomato juice re-added to the pot and a boil started... All peppers chopped and tossed in, then blended with a stick blender.
Removed from heat, ladled into ceramic bowls and mixed with vinegar (6:4:2 sauce:white vinegar:cider vinegar)
A day or two in the fridge then it'll be canned in jars. I need to pick up a few flats of 1/2 pint jars, maybe smaller... A little of this stuff is going to go a LONG way

Latest posts

Back