Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Latest batch of sammich bread (yesterday).

Before baking:
PXL_20211007_153159128.jpg

Done baking:
PXL_20211007_160737096.jpg

100% stoneground whole wheat flour (Bob's Red Mill) is the only flour I use.

I need to get active in this thread again. After not having enough time to make sour dough on a regular basis I have since settled on this every day whole wheat bread and doing all the kneeding in a stainless steel bowl with a spatula. I am convince this method is a good as a bench needing and makes for a faster cleanup. I keep a jar of Fleishmans yeast in the fridge for convenience. I find this is a very good balance of taste. texture and time.

Mike's No Counter Mess Whole Wheat Everyday Bread Loaf

350 g KA bread flour
150 g KA whole wheat
400 ml warm water (about 90°F)
1 tbl salt
2 tsps yeast
1tsp sugar

• Measure out all ingredients
• Divide water in half and add sugar and yeast to one of the halves for 5 - 10 minutes (this step is optional)
• Combine flour and salt in a stainless steel bowl
• Add bloomed yeast water to bowl, use the remaining water to rinse out the yeast water and add to the bowl (another optional step but I hate leaving yeast stuck to the container)
• Using a silicone spatular mix ingredients until combined and let rest for 15 minutes to hydrate the dough. I cover using a silicone lid that came with the bowl set.
• Kneed the dough by scooping the dough with the spatula and folding it over itself rotating the bowl. When lifting the dough, let it hang a little to stretch and helping with the folding. Do this about 10 minutes until the dough shapes into a smooth ball.
• Cover and let rise about an hour (note: in warm days the dough might double in size faster)
*Meanwhile oil and flour a loaf pan
• After the rise (doubled in size) using the spatula start folding but in lieu if a ball shape let the dough form more of oblong oval . Don't sweat this as the dough will fill out the loaf pan during its rest. You can opt to shape this in a counter, but I see no need to add to the kitchen clean up. place in pan and cover Let rest for 30 minutes.
• pre heat the oven to 425°. I also out a pan of water in the bottom of the oven to create some steam
• Slice the top 1/4" deep and bake for 40 minutes (check after 30 minutes)

IMG_2616.jpg

After cooling and eating a slice or two I place in a zip lock bag. After two days I move to the fridge. Toasting is needed at this point as the bread does dry out after a few days and if not put I the fridge it will mold before the end of the week.

Made peanut butter bread from an old 1932 recipe. Tastes great, like a less-sweet peanut butter cookie with the texture of banana bread. Definitely a dessert bread, great with some butter or jam on it, or eaten on it's own.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 10, 1 16 35 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 10, 1 16 35 PM.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 8
  • Photo Oct 10, 1 16 44 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 10, 1 16 44 PM.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 8
I wanted a flavorful bread and definitely got it! This batch is loaded with roasted red bell peppers, smoked paprika and New Mexico red chile powder. I used the overnight schedule from FWSY and it came out really well.

Full recipe with method and more pics here: Overnight Loaves w/ Roasted Red Pepper, Paprika & Red Chile

DSC_4074.JPG

DSC_4079.JPG

DSC_4088.JPG

DSC_4091.JPG

I wanted a flavorful bread and definitely got it! This batch is loaded with roasted red bell peppers, smoked paprika and New Mexico red chile powder. I used the overnight schedule from FWSY and it came out really well.

Full recipe with method and more pics here: Overnight Loaves w/ Roasted Red Pepper, Paprika & Red Chile

View attachment 745766
View attachment 745767
View attachment 745768
View attachment 745769
Wow, that just looks amazing! Definitely going to have a go at those. Thanks for the link!

I demolished my paprika, red chile and roasted bell pepper loaves a lot faster than I was expecting. What else was I supposed to do aside from make more bread? This time I made two loaves with garlic and rosemary added for an extra punch of flavor and aroma.

Full recipe with more pics and method here: Overnight Loaves w/ Garlic and Rosemary

DSC_4308.JPG

DSC_4252.JPG

DSC_4279.JPG

DSC_4300.JPG

DSC_4307.JPG

Ah, the fruits of a good days work. Made 4 loaves today, 3 plain with everything seasoning and the 4th was my first attempt at cheese bread. The cheese bread came out pretty good for my first attempt. Got a little too caramelized on the bottom, but the flavors and texture are wonderful. Next time I think I'll cook it on the pizza stone instead of in the Dutch oven so the bottom doesn't get quite so crispy. Yum!
PXL_20211101_013846715.jpgPXL_20211101_014132429.jpg

Absolutely beautiful loaf! How did it taste? Looks delicious!

Cheers
Jay
It always comes out great. Same bread recipe that I use for sammich bread and dinner rolls. After the first rise, I flatten it out and then roll in the cinnamon (with some water to make a slurry) into it. Rise again in the pan and then bake. Made a batch of dinner rolls today as well. Since I used my last one up at dinner. Got 14 dinner rolls and a larger one that I'll either use for a burger, or sammich.

Ah, the fruits of a good days work. Made 4 loaves today, 3 plain with everything seasoning and the 4th was my first attempt at cheese bread. The cheese bread came out pretty good for my first attempt. Got a little too caramelized on the bottom, but the flavors and texture are wonderful. Next time I think I'll cook it on the pizza stone instead of in the Dutch oven so the bottom doesn't get quite so crispy. Yum!
View attachment 747532View attachment 747533

Looks great! I loves me some cheese bread! I have a recipe for a chili cheese bread that I have made a few times that turned our very nice. I need to do that one again.

Looks great! I loves me some cheese bread! I have a recipe for a chili cheese bread that I have made a few times that turned our very nice. I need to do that one again.
I thought about adding some jalapenos, but since this was my first attempt decided to keep it fairly simple. This loaf has a crap ton of cheddar cheese (10 oz of cubed and shredded white and yellow sharp cheddar) and 1/2 tsp herbs de provence. I was a little worried that it was too much cheese at first, but then I remembered you can never have to much cheese.:yes:

Cheers!

View attachment 747541

So these kind of work here. They are my pizza dough stuffed with spicy linguica, baked in the pizza oven then tossed with fresh garlic butter and parmesan cheese.

Love these smokey bread bites.

What I need is a really good name for these things.

Cheers
Jay

These look awesome. Did you buy pizza boxes? Have been wanting to do that!

I finally took some time to revive my sourdough starter that had been performing poorly. To test it out, I baked this loaf with habanero pepperjack cheese, pickled guajillo peppers and bacon.

Full recipe and method with more pics here: Habanero Pepperjack Cheese, Guajillo Pepper and Bacon Sourdough

Ingredients

* 450g bread flour
* 50g dark rye flour
* 375g filtered water @ 88’F
* 105g unfed starter straight from fridge (100% hydration)
* 11g sea salt
* 85g habanero pepperjack cheese cut into 1/4″ cubes (or substitute with any pepperjack)
* 25g chopped guajillo peppers (or jalapenos)
* 25g chopped bacon (2 thick cut slices)
* for the top – 45g shredded habanero pepperjack cheese
* for the top – 7x guajillo pepper rings

GdvQNNM.jpg

ts2KrF6.jpg

0PamTZm.jpg

vGSmm7R.jpg

ZKyqUiz.jpg

I finally took some time to revive my sourdough starter that had been performing poorly. To test it out, I baked this loaf with habanero pepperjack cheese, pickled guajillo peppers and bacon.

Full recipe and method with more pics here: Habanero Pepperjack Cheese, Guajillo Pepper and Bacon Sourdough

Ingredients

* 450g bread flour
* 50g dark rye flour
* 375g filtered water @ 88’F
* 105g unfed starter straight from fridge (100% hydration)
* 11g sea salt
* 85g habanero pepperjack cheese cut into 1/4″ cubes (or substitute with any pepperjack)
* 25g chopped guajillo peppers (or jalapenos)
* 25g chopped bacon (2 thick cut slices)
* for the top – 45g shredded habanero pepperjack cheese
* for the top – 7x guajillo pepper rings

GdvQNNM.jpg

ts2KrF6.jpg

0PamTZm.jpg

vGSmm7R.jpg

ZKyqUiz.jpg
That looks great and sounds delicious!

View attachment 747541

So these kind of work here. They are my pizza dough stuffed with spicy linguica, baked in the pizza oven then tossed with fresh garlic butter and parmesan cheese.

Love these smokey bread bites.

What I need is a really good name for these things.

Cheers
Jay

Very nice - I make something similar and call them Linguica Chees Bites. Baked in mini muffin pans, stuffed with ground linquica and sharp cheddar. A family favorite.

This is a place to post anything bread related. Here's some of my pictures.

dscn4702_opt-62037.jpg

dscn4705_opt-62038.jpg

dscn4613_opt-61872.jpg
This is a place to post anything bread related. Here's some of my pictures.

dscn4702_opt-62037.jpg

dscn4705_opt-62038.jpg

dscn4613_opt-61872.jpg
This is today's bake: I've been baking sourdough about as long as I've been brewing beer. So far better at baking than brewing but working at it.

Attachments

• IMG_2200.JPG
    IMG_2200.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
This is today's bake: I've been baking sourdough about as long as I've been brewing beer. So far better at baking than brewing but working at it.
Looks great! My personal preference is for the crust to be darker, but other than that, the scoring and rise looks perfect

Aleppo pepper is something I've wanted to bake with for a long time. I finally got my hands on some and added it to these loaves, along with some mozzarella cheese!

Since I hadn't ever used Aleppo pepper before, I wasn't sure how much to use. I took a wild guess and chose 10g which was probably a little on the low side. There's still some orange coloration and slight smoky/earthiness to the loaf, but I'm not getting as much of the flavor as I was hoping for.

Ingredients:

* 900g bread flour
* 100g dark rye flour
* 750g filtered water @ 88’F
* 200g unfed starter straight from fridge (100% hydration)
* 120g mozzarella cheese (cut into 1/4″ cubes)
* 10g Aleppo pepper
* 22g sea salt

Full method with instructions and more photos here: Aleppo Pepper + Mozzarella Sourdough

Some pics:

vO9aXrd.jpg

fYk10gp.jpg

bJ1ZqR9.jpg

yfcFDzX.jpg

WY4Piz7.jpg

8sZjxBU.jpg

I want to make some home baked bagels. I have a recipe that sounds like what I'm looking for. It calls for diastatic malt powder in the dough, and malt syrup in the boiling water. I've done a Google search for the malt syrup they suggest in the recipe, but it isn't available right now and pretty much the only other things I'm finding are Bosco and LME for brewing beer. Is the malt syrup for baking just LME? Or is it a different product that just sounds similar in name? Any advice anyone has is greatly appreciated.

TIA. Cheers!

I want to make some home baked bagels. I have a recipe that sounds like what I'm looking for. It calls for diastatic malt powder in the dough, and malt syrup in the boiling water. I've done a Google search for the malt syrup they suggest in the recipe, but it isn't available right now and pretty much the only other things I'm finding are Bosco and LME for brewing beer. Is the malt syrup for baking just LME? Or is it a different product that just sounds similar in name? Any advice anyone has is greatly appreciated.

TIA. Cheers!
From the web: ”There are two general types of malt: diastatic and non-diastatic. Diastatic simply means it's capable of converting starch into sugars vis enzymes. Powdered malt extract may be diastatic but it's probably more likely that it's a sweetener”
A little LME in the water will help the browning, plain old sugar would likely to the same, but your recipe is true to what professional bagel bakers do.

From the web: ”There are two general types of malt: diastatic and non-diastatic. Diastatic simply means it's capable of converting starch into sugars vis enzymes. Powdered malt extract may be diastatic but it's probably more likely that it's a sweetener”
A little LME in the water will help the browning, plain old sugar would likely to the same, but your recipe is true to what professional bagel bakers do.
Thanks @Hoppy2bmerry . I think the diastatic powder is, as you say, a sweetener and maybe something to assist the yeast in fermentation. The liquid syrup in the recipe is to "add color to the finished bagels". Since I can't get the product they recommend I'm wondering if I could just use molasses, or LME and get the same results. Would either of those substitutes effect flavor?

Thanks @Hoppy2bmerry . I think the diastatic powder is, as you say, a sweetener and maybe something to assist the yeast in fermentation. The liquid syrup in the recipe is to "add color to the finished bagels". Since I can't get the product they recommend I'm wondering if I could just use molasses, or LME and get the same results. Would either of those substitutes effect flavor?
I think the molasses would be too flavorful a light LME would be better. The diastatic powder is meant to convert some starch to sugar… I know many bread recipes have a touch of sugar or more if it is meant to be a sweet bread. Typically bagels aren’t noticeably sweet so this is for the yeast apparently. I’ve made bagels without the malt powder and they were fine in flavor and texture.

I've been doing some experiments with Diastatic Malted Barley Flour to see if it actually makes any difference with my bakes. The first test was with some Sourdough loaves but I wanted to try them in something that does typically call for it... Pretzels!

If you're not sure what diastatic malted barley flour is, it's basically extremely finely crushed barley, husk and all. It's supposed to provide a boost of nutrients for the bread yeast and give a darker color in baking.

To test it with the pretzels, I did two batches with the same ingredients, only one had 1 tsp of diastatic malted barley flour added to it (which is what seems to be the recommended amount for the amount of flour I was using).

Honestly, there was zero difference visually between the two batches. They both browned the same, had a similar crumb structure, rose the same amount and browned on the bottom similarly. The main difference is the batch with the barley flour had a lot more "pretzel" flavor. I didn't notice the lack of pretzel flavor when trying the batch without the barley flour, but as soon as I tried the one with the barley flour, it was really apparent.

The ingredients for each batch were:

* 3 3/4 cups (~560g) bread flour
* 1/4 oz (about 2 tsp) instant yeast
* 2 tsp sea salt
* 1 1/4 cups (~315mL) water (110’F)
* 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
* 1 tsp Diastatic Malted Barley Flour (for one batch)
* Pretzel or coarse sea salt for topping (optional)

Pretzel bath (I doubled the amount below so I could use a bigger pot):

* 4 1/4 cups water
* 3 Tbsp baking soda

Full method and instructions here: Diastatic Malted Barley Flour Experiment #2 – Pretzels

m849eAT.jpg

gN55RdR.jpg

la0pgol.jpg

v6w5THU.jpg

FMePeQF.jpg

AFugdFn.jpg

Back