Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garlic naan, to be served with chicken and chickpea curry tonight,

IMG_3119.jpg

Those look really good, did you finish them over a flame?

Actually no, I've got a little trick - I get a 12" cast iron skillet with lid and brush it with a little oil, like for pancakes. Then I turn the hood fan on high, get that sucker cranking hot and stretch a ball, slap it on, give a couple spritzes with a water bottle and close the lid. Flip once. It's got to be at least 700 degrees in there, the bread cooks in under 2 minutes. Then I brush them with some ghee mixed with garlic and sprinkle some parsley.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Made naan from the recipe link by Bottlebomber. Used cast iron skillet outside on an induction burner. Also made Ghee from Alton Brown instructions. First time for both. Tastes good. Thanks BB.

Nice man! I haven't made ghee but I've been planning too.

OK all you sourdough makers - do any of you brew beer too? Just wondering if the wild sourdough yeasties duke it out with the beer yeasties and spoil the beer?

If you DO the two things concurrently, do you take any precautions to separate the yeasts from one another?

I'd REALLY like to make sourdough but the guy who owns the LHBS said to be careful making that, or anything else fermented, in the same space you brew beer.

I brew and also bake sourdough. I also brew kombucha. Never had an issue mixing but I'm kinda a newbie to brewing...

No issue whatsoever with contamination, and it would be an understatement to say that I am lax with my sanitation controls.

I haven't had a chance yet to read this whole thread so forgive me if this has been covered before but has anyone made bread using wine yeast or any strain of brewers yeast

Now THAT is an awesome loaf. Nice job! Looks to have excellent crumb and a crusty exterior. Freeze anything leftover and youll be happy

For anyone interested, I've outlined my slight modifications of the Tartine Method on my blog. It makes the best bread I've ever eaten, and I've had a lot of bread. Dough method is http://brouwerijchugach.wordpress.com/bread/the-method/ and the shaping is http://brouwerijchugach.wordpress.com/bread/the-method/shaping-and-baking-bread/

Pizza method is listed too.

I also followed your method, as you know, and thanks for the awesome Leaven. I give you my very first loaf. It was glorious, I brought one of them to professional bike race in Philly yesterday where we ripped off pieces and ate it with cheese while opening champagne bottles of my own funky farmhouse ales. We ate and drank well on a beautiful day watching some cycling.

DSC_1360_zps0467f265.jpg

DSC_1384_zps49ca05c0.jpg

DSC_1448_zps82308697.jpg

Is the lack of whole wheat flour in ChugachBrewing's method helping to make the crumb? The original method on Marthastewart.com has turned out good bread, but ChugachBrewing's method gave me the best homemade loaf I've ever made.

I made french toast with a couple of thick slices from yesterday's loaf and it blew my mind.

YES. Love the french toast. My wife made french toast from an old loaf and it was killer (Farm fresh eggs help too!)

I stopped using the whole wheat flour one day simply because I thought it would produce a softer crumb (while maintaining the crackly crust). I found the bread was even better and haven't looked back since.

Nice looking loaves all around. Excellent crumb! Looks like it should be in a book!

Oh yea! We did French Toast with one of the loaves from this batch as well! It was fantastic.

For anyone interested, I've outlined my slight modifications of the Tartine Method on my blog. It makes the best bread I've ever eaten, and I've had a lot of bread. Dough method is http://brouwerijchugach.wordpress.com/bread/the-method/ and the shaping is http://brouwerijchugach.wordpress.com/bread/the-method/shaping-and-baking-bread/

Pizza method is listed too.

Giving this a try tomorrow! I usually like a super sour loaf, but the husband does not so hopefully he will enjoy. I have plans for French toast Wednesday provided my loaves turn out nice tomorrow.

Is the lack of whole wheat flour in ChugachBrewing's method helping to make the crumb? The original method on Marthastewart.com has turned out good bread, but ChugachBrewing's method gave me the best homemade loaf I've ever made.

I made french toast with a couple of thick slices from yesterday's loaf and it blew my mind.

What kind of flour did you use? I'm just curious, I've stuck with King Arthur Sir Lancelot almost entirely since the beginning for this rustic loaf.

What kind of flour did you use? I'm just curious, I've stuck with King Arthur Sir Lancelot almost entirely since the beginning for this rustic loaf.

I use Hodgson Mill Whole wheat and King Arthur Bread Flour for the levain. For the most recent loaves I used King Arthur Bread Flour exclusively. Are you buying Sir Lancelot in bulk?

Ok cool, thanks man. Really having fun with this baking obsession, thanks its large part to ChugachBrewing!

Ok, my second attempt this week (I've made terrible bread off & on for years), and finally the first loaf of bread I've made that doesn't resemble or taste like a loaf of wonderbread... and it is mocking me.

DSC_0354.JPG

Seriously, does that not look like an ass crack? Anyhow, I've been proofing my bread longer and really allowing it more time to rise before baking, had a little trouble transferring off my pizza peel, which resulted in this shape. Overall I'm quite pleased, but disheartened by all the amazing loafs on here.

Ok, my second attempt this week (I've made terrible bread off & on for years), and finally the first loaf of bread I've made that doesn't resemble or taste like a loaf of wonderbread... and it is mocking me.

DSC_0354.JPG

Seriously, does that not look like an ass crack? Anyhow, I've been proofing my bread longer and really allowing it more time to rise before baking, had a little trouble transferring off my pizza peel, which resulted in this shape. Overall I'm quite pleased, but disheartened by all the amazing loafs on here.
That doesn't look so bad, a piece of parchment paper will make transfer effortless. Did you slash the loaf?

Looks like a heart to me :)

My two loaves yesterday weren't pretty. And I don't post pics of failures lol. They were too soft and spread more than rose in the oven. I think I should have worked in more flour- it's been terribly humid and they were too wet.

Latest posts

Back