Homebrewing and Bodybuilding/Fitness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been lifting weights ever since I made a pledge to myself in 2009 to never accept the sedentary lifestyle. I have taken SOME time off from lifting but have been very slowly making progress. I used to struggle to bench press 150 lbs, now I can probably do 25 reps at 150 lbs. I am not a bodybuilder though, my body fat % is too high for that. But I enjoy improving my compound lifts and working out 3-6 days a week.

I have the exact opposite story of you. I've been actively working out for 11 years, 8 of which I have been actively bodybuilding. I've done a couple shows, never placing anywhere significant, but I have managed to get to single digit bodyfat weighing around 225lbs at a height of 5'11. That was my heaviest/leanest point. I always hate when people say nutrition is more important than exercise. It's never ever 80% this or 20% that, it's always 100% everything involved. That being said, nutrition is often the most misunderstood broscienced aspect and takes up vastly more time and effort than any other factor. Some people have somewhat hit the nail on the head in this thread, "watch carbs" "calorie intake" etc. The most important thing to do is figure out and track all your macros which are your fats, proteins, and carbs. Our bodies are ironically similar to yeast in that we can process all three of these for energy and macros are exactly where calorie counts come from. 4 calories for carbs, 4 calories for protein, and 9 calories for fat. Carbs are your primary energy source same as yeast, lacking that your body will consume fats for energy, and if pushed to an extreme will convert protein derived from your muscles and diet into sugar and use that. ALWAYS find the proper balance of all three, as cutting one completely out usually yields initial fast weight loss, followed by a metabolic crash to compensate for decreased energy intake , which inevitably results in a quick regaining of bodyfat, usually worse than when you began, and it starts as soon as you begin eating normal again. This is exactly why virtually all diets fail long term is because usually people cut macro intake too low seeking quick results or following a fad diet. Carbs act as your body's primary fuel. Fats make up a huge amount of your body(hormones, every single cell membrane you have) so they require a minimum amount each day, below that amount your body will burn its stores to compensate, and will use fats as an alternative to carbs. Proteins will be utilized to repair broken tissue. No protein, no repair, but your body can only change proteins into carbs if desperate for fuel. This is why low carb or ketogenic diets go so far is that on top of your metabolism eventually crashing, it will just make its own carbs anyway from your own muscle tissue if it has to. I was extremely serious in contest prep. Meals were always prepped in advance, tubberwared, and taken with me everywhere so I never missed a meal. School, work, social outtings, etc. I tracked my macros, bodyfat, weight consistently always knowing where I was at. You in no way have to be this serious. There are alternatives to tracking macros that are less tedious and straining in which you can still achieve phenomenal results. Don't even bother with supps. If you have questions just ask. I've done gym membership sales, training, and I sold supps for about a year too. With school, my job, a bad ending to a 6 year relationship, and strained finances, I haven't kept up with it. I always loved the microbreweries in my area and always wanted to get into brewing. I thought it would be alot cheaper than what it has been, but still so far it hasn't scratched the surface to the resources I've poured into bodybuilding. I will tell you that the brewing community is way more opening and friendly than the fitness community you encounter in forums, gyms, or on social media. You'll encounter some *****ers that'll make beer snobs seem like scholarly gentlemen. If you have any questions at all always feel free to ask.

View attachment 1484887005349.jpg

View attachment 1484887016373.jpg

View attachment 1484887025879.jpg

100% on point, every word of it. I try explaining what you've said to so many people and they still don't get it. Props on the 225 and single digit bf%. Ive been able to stay around 8-10% and come up from 153 to 160(I'm 5'7) over the last year or so. I get a lot of gear comments which is good as it gets for natty lifting lol. All about consistency and attention to detail.

I have the exact opposite story of you. I've been actively working out for 11 years, 8 of which I have been actively bodybuilding. I've done a couple shows, never placing anywhere significant, but I have managed to get to single digit bodyfat weighing around 225lbs at a height of 5'11. That was my heaviest/leanest point. I always hate when people say nutrition is more important than exercise. It's never ever 80% this or 20% that, it's always 100% everything involved. That being said, nutrition is often the most misunderstood broscienced aspect and takes up vastly more time and effort than any other factor. Some people have somewhat hit the nail on the head in this thread, "watch carbs" "calorie intake" etc. The most important thing to do is figure out and track all your macros which are your fats, proteins, and carbs. Our bodies are ironically similar to yeast in that we can process all three of these for energy and macros are exactly where calorie counts come from. 4 calories for carbs, 4 calories for protein, and 9 calories for fat. Carbs are your primary energy source same as yeast, lacking that your body will consume fats for energy, and if pushed to an extreme will convert protein derived from your muscles and diet into sugar and use that. ALWAYS find the proper balance of all three, as cutting one completely out usually yields initial fast weight loss, followed by a metabolic crash to compensate for decreased energy intake , which inevitably results in a quick regaining of bodyfat, usually worse than when you began, and it starts as soon as you begin eating normal again. This is exactly why virtually all diets fail long term is because usually people cut macro intake too low seeking quick results or following a fad diet. Carbs act as your body's primary fuel. Fats make up a huge amount of your body(hormones, every single cell membrane you have) so they require a minimum amount each day, below that amount your body will burn its stores to compensate, and will use fats as an alternative to carbs. Proteins will be utilized to repair broken tissue. No protein, no repair, but your body can only change proteins into carbs if desperate for fuel. This is why low carb or ketogenic diets go so far is that on top of your metabolism eventually crashing, it will just make its own carbs anyway from your own muscle tissue if it has to. I was extremely serious in contest prep. Meals were always prepped in advance, tubberwared, and taken with me everywhere so I never missed a meal. School, work, social outtings, etc. I tracked my macros, bodyfat, weight consistently always knowing where I was at. You in no way have to be this serious. There are alternatives to tracking macros that are less tedious and straining in which you can still achieve phenomenal results. Don't even bother with supps. If you have questions just ask. I've done gym membership sales, training, and I sold supps for about a year too. With school, my job, a bad ending to a 6 year relationship, and strained finances, I haven't kept up with it. I always loved the microbreweries in my area and always wanted to get into brewing. I thought it would be alot cheaper than what it has been, but still so far it hasn't scratched the surface to the resources I've poured into bodybuilding. I will tell you that the brewing community is way more opening and friendly than the fitness community you encounter in forums, gyms, or on social media. You'll encounter some *****ers that'll make beer snobs seem like scholarly gentlemen. If you have any questions at all always feel free to ask.

Bro, very nice post :mug:
Welcome to the community!
So you have given up on the bodybuilding in pursuit of homebrewing? I am not wanting to compete, but I do want to have a nice physique some size and a low bodyfat %.Did you drink when you were seriously bodybuilding? I'm guessing not during prep, but off season?

Only supps I take are a pre-workout and protein. Currently tracking all my macros with Myfitnesspal and have been getting great results. I'm bulking right now with 4000 calories a day 45% carbs, 30%fats, 25% protein. When drinking do you think it is better to borrow from carbs or fats?

Alcohol is carbs no? Gonna have to freshen up on this

No sugar is a carb, once it becomes alcohol it is no longer a carb, however beer will have carbs left in it (unfermentable sugar) whereas most distilled spirits do not contain carbs or contain very low amounts.

Alcohol is it's own macronutrient, and a calorically dense one at that containing 7 calories per gram second only to fats.

Our bodies also prioritize burning alcohol for energy over all other macronutrients, because as far as our bodies are concerned alcohol is a poison.

Bro, very nice post :mug:
Welcome to the community!
So you have given up on the bodybuilding in pursuit of homebrewing? I am not wanting to compete, but I do want to have a nice physique some size and a low bodyfat %.Did you drink when you were seriously bodybuilding? I'm guessing not during prep, but off season?

Only supps I take are a pre-workout and protein. Currently tracking all my macros with Myfitnesspal and have been getting great results. I'm bulking right now with 4000 calories a day 45% carbs, 30%fats, 25% protein. When drinking do you think it is better to borrow from carbs or fats?

I would drink maybe once a month when in offseason. Always tracked macros through myfitness pal. I was never a fan of percentage makeup over exact grams. Carbs and fats can always vary based on metabolism, goals, and activity level. Protein should always be at least 1 gram per lean lb of bodyweight. When I first started 2 grams per bodyweight was the common conception but Dr. Layne Norton has published alot of research showing otherwise. Also if something is working, stick with it. Tons of information out there that contradicts each other. Find what works for what you're going for and run with it. I wouldn't say I'll ever completely give up bodybuilding, but due to the culture surrounding it and the amount of resources that go into, I probably won't be competition serious for a while.

No sugar is a carb, once it becomes alcohol it is no longer a carb, however beer will have carbs left in it (unfermentable sugar) whereas most distilled spirits do not contain carbs or contain very low amounts.

Alcohol is it's own macronutrient, and a calorically dense one at that containing 7 calories per gram second only to fats.

Our bodies also prioritize burning alcohol for energy over all other macronutrients, because as far as our bodies are concerned alcohol is a poison.

Yeah all carbs are sugars just varying in complexity. From table sugar to wood. Alcohol does add 7 calories per gram, but it is not a macro. Calories are just a measure of energy. Macros are the basic nutrients for all life, alcohol can't be utilized this way, otherwise we could exist off of pure alcohol alone, or yeast or other microbes in brew could use it that way as well. It is purely the sugar by product of yeast as a result of fermentation. We ferment too, except our by product in our cells is lactic acid though, hence the lactic acid build up when straining muscles. Alcohol does contribute to weight gain in that there are usually carbs present, and your body processes macros differently when processing alcohol. For instance rather than rebuild muscle tissue with protein, with the presence of alcohol protein synthesis shuts down and protein is then just converted for pure energy.

Yeah all carbs are sugars just varying in complexity. From table sugar to wood. Alcohol does add 7 calories per gram, but it is not a macro. Calories are just a measure of energy. Macros are the basic nutrients for all life, alcohol can't be utilized this way, otherwise we could exist off of pure alcohol alone, or yeast or other microbes in brew could use it that way as well. It is purely the sugar by product of yeast as a result of fermentation. We ferment too, except our by product in our cells is lactic acid though, hence the lactic acid build up when straining muscles. Alcohol does contribute to weight gain in that there are usually carbs present, and your body processes macros differently when processing alcohol. For instance rather than rebuild muscle tissue with protein, with the presence of alcohol protein synthesis shuts down and protein is then just converted for pure energy.

So for tracking purposes if you want to have a few beers would you say it is better to borrow those calories from your carbs or your fats for the day?

So for tracking purposes if you want to have a few beers would you say it is better to borrow those calories from your carbs or your fats for the day?

Carbs. Carbs only real purpose as a nutrient is for energy. Fats and protein are actually used as building blocks for different things in your body. Fats are also required for absorbing certain vitamins. You can survive without eating carbs, but not without fat or protein.

I just want to add my little plug here and say that nutrition is important, but the benefits of regular exercise are immense when it comes to overall health. It's really important to try and fit both into your routine.

Pretty sure carbs. For example on MFP.....

Sierra Nevada APA rings at 175cal, 14g C/1.5g P - per 12oz serving.
Weihenstephaner Vitus at 260cal and 23g C.
Left Hand Milk Stout 185cal 18gC/1.2g P

Not everything has an entry but a good amount of stuff does which gives you something to work with.

Not sure I understand exactly. Never focus on just calorie count. Like I said, you body processes all macros differently. For instance someone dieting on 1800 calories a day from pure carbs, is going to have a different ending result from someone with the exact same metabolic rate who dieted on 1800 calories from pure protein. From a macro perspective, beers are usually more carb dominant, so if you want a few beers, plan in those beers for your total macro goals for the day. Example if you are aiming for 150g,rather than have rice or bread etc at one meal, cut that out, and substitute the macros from the beers when you have them later. Also don't trust calorie counts for beer, while there's usually small slight inconsistencies with calorie counts on foods in relation to their macros, beer calorie counts are usually much higher than what they should be, and think it is because alcohol factors into the totally calorie count.

For most average people, bread, pasta, rice, crackers, and sweets are the most important things to cut back on if one is indulging in the simple carbs that beer offers. It's an excess of simple carbs that afflicts the vast majority of us who are not burning an extra 1,000 calories/day.

We eat bread (especially), rice, or pasta with everything - just try avoiding these staples and see how many times you have to think hard about what to eat. Most commonly accepted portions of those things are also huge, generating high blood glucose, an insulin reaction, and conversion of the extra, unused energy to fat cells.

A basic sandwich costs 200 calories in bread alone. Having a roll or bagel? Make that 300. Adding oils, butter, etc. - 400+. And that's just the bread. It's incredibly easy to pile a ton of simple carb calories into a 2,000 calorie daily intake unless you consciously re-evaluate what "food" is for a typical meal.

And I agree that exercise is really important, regardless of one's diet. There's nothing like flushing out the pipes - blood vessels that is - by pumping oxygen-rich blood through them at a rapid rate for a good 30-60 minutes or longer.

i don't keep track of carbs, or anything else I eat, but knowing i'm going to drink a few beers every evening helps motivate me to go outside and exercise. Just got back from 40 mins of xc skiing, and about to start on my competition shooting dryfire routine. Should be good for at least a 6-pack.

In case don't know about practical shooting, it's pretty active, looks like this: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKvUfV0Hx3s[/ame]

I don't know if it's activity level or genes, but I have never seen the point of trying to reduce carbs. Usually I need to make sure I get *enough*, so that I can keep moving. But i'm pretty surely still in the single digit bodyfat range. I'm only about 13 lbs heavier (and significantly more muscular) than when i was racing bicycles and tested at under 4% at the university lab.

Also, I don't know how old you guys are, but even good genes won't absolve you of the need to have a good diet once you hit 40. Be forewarned! And some of the aggressive, physically rough activities are hard to sustain at an, ahem, more advanced age.

I was a slug who relied on his "good genes" and lean build until I hit early middle age. I'm not proud of that and wish I had done things differently. But I've made up for it, and, well, ya can't go back in time!

You can combine both sports and your brewery. Just because you make beer doesn't mean you have to drink it in one gulp. You can take one gulp to make sure that you have prepared a good drink. By the way, you did a great job that you found the strength and lost weight. Not everyone could resist the temptation. Personally, it was very difficult for me to lose weight. I forced myself to exercise and not eat sweets. By the way, now I don't limit myself in food. I'm using advice modernfit.com and I made a meal plan and eat everything, but in small quantities.

Last edited:
Bike rider here: road and mountain. When I'm able to get in 5-6 days per week on the bike it balances out my brewing hobby very well. A little harder in the winter though.

I follow a guy on instagram named Justin Cross who is a brewer/fitness freak and CEO of Earn your booze. There are quite a few times when I can placate my inner crybaby with the promise of a beer after a good run. Starting to get into lifting because runners have noodle arms and my kegerator is upstairs.

On a semi-related note to this thread, I have long felt that beer gets overly scapegoated for weight gain. I've spent tons of time in the last 25 years hanging out in large groups of beer-drinking dudes. I can't count the number of times in these groups I've heard conversations that go something like this:

"Whoa man, puttin' on a bit of a belly there huh? LOLS"
"Yeah man... the beer is catching up with me!"
"No doubt! Me too!"

etc.

And I know most of them genuinely believe it. I'm not a nutritionist, but I just don't buy it. No, beer definitely doesn't do your waistline any favors, but my point is this: if your day-to-day consists of large amounts of pizza, burgers, fries, soda, potato chips, chicken wings, processed convenience foods, desserts, candy, etc. then it seems absurd to single out beer as the culprit for a growing belly. It's not a "beer belly," it's a "crappy diet belly."

If beer were as bad for weight as it is held to be in scapegoat lore, I'd definitely have a beer belly. I'm 43, not into sports at all, office job, and drink beer almost every day. I work out a few times a week max, and never terribly hard, at that. Somehow, at 5'11" and 180lbs, I manage to be the same weight and waist size as my 20s. Heck, if the light hits me right, I can even see abs.

In my early-mid 20s I started to feel a bit run-down and lethargic from my "college student" diet of processed food and junk, so I decided to make changes, and I'm so glad I did.

IMO, it comes down to 3 things: 1) you can't fly blind; you can treat yourself to unhealthy things in moderation, but it's mandatory that you understand the nutritional impacts of everything you eat (learn how to read food labels, etc.); 2) eat meals made from the ground up with whole ingredients as often as humanly possible instead of overly processed "convenience" foods that are almost always brimming with salt, fat, and sugar to make them palatable; 3) LEARN HOW TO COOK.

The last point is very important because I just don't see how it's possible to consistently eat tasty and healthy meals if you're wanting everything just served to you on a platter all the time. Not only is it expensive, it rarely lives up to the promise.

These days I cook 5-6 nights a week, always making sure to make too much so there is a steady stream of healthy leftovers for lunches and to stock the freezer for lazy nights, etc. I only eat meat once or twice a week, a crap ton of fruits and vegetables, lots of legumes, lots of healthy grains like quinoa and farro, lots of seeds. I generally avoid desserts altogether, don't buy chips or junk snacks (out of sight, out of mind), and water has 100% replaced soft drinks (I haven't drunk a Coke or Mountain Dew or similar for probably 10 years or more.)

The best part is, this is not a fad diet that takes immense willpower to stick with, it's just ingrained in my lifestyle now and has been for years. With proper care in your meals, you can almost eat as much of it as you want without worrying too much. When you maintain a properly stocked pantry of herbs and spices and vinegars and healthy oils and other staples, there is no need to suffer through bland meals. The myth that eating healthy must mean bland and boring is another one that needs to die. I'm not eating boiled chicken breast and cabbage water here.

Of course, my approach probably wouldn't work for a bodybuilder or serious athlete, but I don't aspire to be either of those things so I don't care.

On a semi-related note to this thread, I have long felt that beer gets overly scapegoated for weight gain. I've spent tons of time in the last 25 years hanging out in large groups of beer-drinking dudes. I can't count the number of times in these groups I've heard conversations that go something like this:

"Whoa man, puttin' on a bit of a belly there huh? LOLS"
"Yeah man... the beer is catching up with me!"
"No doubt! Me too!"

etc.

And I know most of them genuinely believe it. I'm not a nutritionist, but I just don't buy it. No, beer definitely doesn't do your waistline any favors, but my point is this: if your day-to-day consists of large amounts of pizza, burgers, fries, soda, potato chips, chicken wings, processed convenience foods, desserts, candy, etc. then it seems absurd to single out beer as the culprit for a growing belly. It's not a "beer belly," it's a "crappy diet belly."

If beer were as bad for weight as it is held to be in scapegoat lore, I'd definitely have a beer belly. I'm 43, not into sports at all, office job, and drink beer almost every day. I work out a few times a week max, and never terribly hard, at that. Somehow, at 5'11" and 180lbs, I manage to be the same weight and waist size as my 20s. Heck, if the light hits me right, I can even see abs.

In my early-mid 20s I started to feel a bit run-down and lethargic from my "college student" diet of processed food and junk, so I decided to make changes, and I'm so glad I did.

IMO, it comes down to 3 things: 1) you can't fly blind; you can treat yourself to unhealthy things in moderation, but it's mandatory that you understand the nutritional impacts of everything you eat (learn how to read food labels, etc.); 2) eat meals made from the ground up with whole ingredients as often as humanly possible instead of overly processed "convenience" foods that are almost always brimming with salt, fat, and sugar to make them palatable; 3) LEARN HOW TO COOK.

The last point is very important because I just don't see how it's possible to consistently eat tasty and healthy meals if you're wanting everything just served to you on a platter all the time. Not only is it expensive, it rarely lives up to the promise.

These days I cook 5-6 nights a week, always making sure to make too much so there is a steady stream of healthy leftovers for lunches and to stock the freezer for lazy nights, etc. I only eat meat once or twice a week, a crap ton of fruits and vegetables, lots of legumes, lots of healthy grains like quinoa and farro, lots of seeds. I generally avoid desserts altogether, don't buy chips or junk snacks (out of sight, out of mind), and water has 100% replaced soft drinks (I haven't drunk a Coke or Mountain Dew or similar for probably 10 years or more.)

The best part is, this is not a fad diet that takes immense willpower to stick with, it's just ingrained in my lifestyle now and has been for years. With proper care in your meals, you can almost eat as much of it as you want without worrying too much. When you maintain a properly stocked pantry of herbs and spices and vinegars and healthy oils and other staples, there is no need to suffer through bland meals. The myth that eating healthy must mean bland and boring is another one that needs to die. I'm not eating boiled chicken breast and cabbage water here.

Of course, my approach probably wouldn't work for a bodybuilder or serious athlete, but I don't aspire to be either of those things so I don't care.
True.

I'm not a nutritionist either, but luckily my wife is!

I clicked the "Like" button because there's not a "Nominate for POTUS" button.

I got really into weightlifting about 10 years ago.

Before long, I got so into tracking my macros, i was literally accounting for every gram and calorie. It definitely made a huge difference. was putting on a pound of muscle a week, and strength gains like i couldn't beleive

it becomes harder as you get older, but if you are monitoring your macros, you can accommodate for alcohol - either by increasing your expenditure via more cardio, or cutting back on the alcohol until it works. people into endurance even more so, as they expend so many calories with less focus on macros.

but now i feel like it was at a sacrifice of enjoying life. I love to cook - i love making homemade bread, pizza, pasta and desserts from scratch. I love a good rum or bourbon, or mead or wine. unfortunately, beer seems to hurt my stomach any more for whatever reason, but I do love a good ale, porter or stout.

I still eat clean 5-6 days a week, but allow myself these treats at least once a week. Also, by allowing yourself these things, it makes it lesss likely you'll fall off the wagon entirely.

I no longer rob myself of these enjoyments. so long as i get my proteins and fats, and account for the calories and get my workout in, i feel good.

Last edited:
Heck, if the light hits me right, I can even see abs.

damn, i got 4"'s on you and wheigh less, you must be a gorilla!....but when i look in the mirror, and think i see "definition", i realize it's celulite....i do have semi veinage on my biceps though......

but like i learned as a kid....

knowing.jpg

Much thanks to the OP and 1Amalia1 for dredging it up. I gained weight since I started homebrewing years ago and struggled with weight loss for several years. January 2020, I decided to make some changes and went low carb, (I did the same years ago and lost weight but gained it back). Now, I believe low carb is a lifestyle that I'm going to stick with. I don't eat any carbs, but I do drink plenty of them. I don't really work out, but I go for 20 mile bike rides, have a season pass at the local ski area, cross country ski when there is enough snow, chop firewood, work in my hobby orchard and garden, do yardwork, and generally keep pretty active when the sun is shining. I also switched to brewing low carb brut IPAs and session beers, but I still drink my share of commercial/homebrewed DIPAs, Imperial Stouts and high ABV meads. Sometimes I'll blend some low carb brut IPA with some DIPA to justify what I'm doing in my own mind. Oh yeah, I feel guilty when I "cheat" and consume some carbs.
I've lost 30 lbs and my goal is to lose 15 more, which will put me at at about the same weight I was when I was 18 (I'm 61). So what I'm saying is that if you want to slim down AND still be a beer drinker, you can do it, you just have to make smart choices and stop eating refined crap. If I quit drinking I'd be at my goal weight already, but life is short and beer, wine and cider are things to be enjoyed.
:mug:

Last edited:
Not a bodybuilder, but mediocre powerlifter (in that "strong as **** for the real world" realm but amongst seasoned heavy lifters by no means impressive). My general rule for macros is "more" though my diet is heavy on the protein. That said I don't shy away from carbs, or beer. I'm not horrendously worried about my body fat percentage, and I'm by no means a physique model. Try to keep bodyfat under 20%, and if it spikes too high over I'll do a fairly soft cut cycle to drop it back down. If I do a good hard cut I can drop fat fast but my lifts suffer immensely, and I'm far more worried about my 1rms than what I look like in a mirror.

I do laugh when my coworkers talk about "ballooning" to 200 lbs. If I hit single digit body fat I'd still be above 200 lbs. Without muscle loss sub 200lbs I'd be dead.

I don't really group either bodybuilding or powerlifting in the same group as "fitness", though they could be a part of it. Fitness is more well rounded. A former coach is a highly ranked oly lifter. Looks lean and lifts HUGE, but he eats like a trash can and isn't actually healthy at all.

I follow a guy on instagram named Justin Cross who is a brewer/fitness freak and CEO of Earn your booze. There are quite a few times when I can placate my inner crybaby with the promise of a beer after a good run. Starting to get into lifting because runners have noodle arms and my kegerator is upstairs.

We've always called it "earn a beer", for about 12 years now.

Now, I believe low carb is a lifestyle that I'm going to stick with.
me too! I joke that I drink my carbs, but even then it's not that much.

@madscientist451 I’m in the process of brewing lower and lower carb beers. Usually low ABV as well.

About the time I hit 40 I drank quite a bit and they were all high ABV bombers. I started noticing several drinking buddies develop diabetes and consequently having more health issues. I started having my own health issues which led me to changing my diet drastically, dropping 30lbs. I’ve tried most diets. Keto, paleo, several elimination diets, vegetarian, carnivore (zero carb) and diets focused on gut biome.
I’ve always been somewhat active, but got into running and bike riding. Occasionally weight lift but always more cardio based. As I get older I’m finding I enjoy the challenge of lifting and yoga more than running, but still run with dogs a few days a week. Brewing is fun, but is one of many hobbies I enjoy. Its one of the reasons I decided early on to stick with extract. I’ve learned to make decent quality beer I enjoy in a mich shorter tome frame. Its also given me a much larger appreciation for any brewer that makes exceptional beer.

Much thanks to the OP and 1Amalia1 for dredging it up. I gained weight since I started homebrewing years ago and struggled with weight loss for several years. January 2020, I decided to make some changes and went low carb, (I did the same years ago and lost weight but gained it back). Now, I believe low carb is a lifestyle that I'm going to stick with. I don't eat any carbs, but I do drink plenty of them. I don't really work out, but I go for 20 mile bike rides, have a season pass at the local ski area, cross country ski when there is enough snow, chop firewood, work in my hobby orchard and garden, do yardwork, and generally keep pretty active when the sun is shining. I've lost 30 lbs and my goal is to lose 15 more, which will put me at at about the same weight I was when I was 18 (I'm 61). So what I'm saying is that if you want to slim down AND still be a beer drinker, you can do it, you just have to make smart choices and stop eating refined crap. If I quit drinking I'd be at my goal weight already, but life is short and beer, wine and cider are things to be enjoyed.

one misconception is how many carbs are really in beer. most people are surprised that even heavy beers like stouts are only about 10 carbs +/- per 12 oz. A flour tortilla has 3 times that!

2-3 beers on the weekend isn't a big deal

Not a bodybuilder, but mediocre powerlifter (in that "strong as **** for the real world" realm but amongst seasoned heavy lifters by no means impressive). My general rule for macros is "more" though my diet is heavy on the protein. That said I don't shy away from carbs, or beer. I'm not horrendously worried about my body fat percentage, and I'm by no means a physique model. Try to keep bodyfat under 20%, and if it spikes too high over I'll do a fairly soft cut cycle to drop it back down. If I do a good hard cut I can drop fat fast but my lifts suffer immensely, and I'm far more worried about my 1rms than what I look like in a mirror.

I do laugh when my coworkers talk about "ballooning" to 200 lbs. If I hit single digit body fat I'd still be above 200 lbs. Without muscle loss sub 200lbs I'd be dead.

I don't really group either bodybuilding or powerlifting in the same group as "fitness", though they could be a part of it. Fitness is more well rounded. A former coach is a highly ranked oly lifter. Looks lean and lifts HUGE, but he eats like a trash can and isn't actually healthy at all.

Yes, a 5'3" person at 200 should worry - 6'3" person... not so much.

I used to cycle before I got into weightlifting. My energy was through the roof. Could go for a 15 mile bike ride then go swing a pick axe for 4 hours. After getting hit by a car not once but twice, I transitioned out of cycling and into lifting. Before wuflu hit, I was almost exclusively doing power lifting. I was hitting new 1 rep max personal records on a near weekly basis, but definitely at a sacrifice of stamina. You have to pick a priority. It is one of funny to see guys at the gym who are shredded and strut around like a rooster, then sweat bullets deadlifting 150 pounds.

One of my inspirations was reading about the story of hafthor bjornsson. He plays "the mountain" on game of thrones. Believe it or not, he used to be a basketball player - 6'10", 165 pounds. Now he weighs 365 pounds and just set the deadlift World record for 1121 pounds!

i feel obligated, like i do in everyone of these threads to point you to the 'realistic' eat whatever you want diet....

https://sourceforge.net/projects/cronometer/
they have a fancier website now, but i still use the java app....

and this will your best friend first few months figuring out what YOU want to eat

https://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/nutrient-search

i just want to eat as cheap as possible, no surprise there, lol can buy a weeks worth of food for $10 bucks now, the stores hate me!

I live outside the main city - small house, plenty of yard space, 3 dogs ( whereas the vast majority of my friends live in flats, in the city ) which gives me the possibility to walk and cycle whenever I want, in an enviroment with much less pollution, noise, etc. I hit the gym and weighlift a few months a year. I am not consistently with it, an aspect I need to work on still.

I've been working from home in the past 6 years or so. Coupled with homebrewing, makes for a tough challenge. Last year, I took an extra job at a local craft beer pub ( have been a customer there from the begining, so I knew everybody there ). I was working from 10 to 18 at home and then from 19 to 1-2-3 in the morning at the pub. The money was good, especially the tips. I did it for 8 months, but couldn't continue, as working two full-time jobs is pretty demanding. In January 2020, I jumped on the scale, dreading - 230 lbs or aprox. 104-105 Kg. And the scale was just confirmation - whilst working the two jobs, I slowly sensed I was getting heavier and things were starting to feel harder to do.

I am now at 189 lbs/86 Kg and have been so for the past 2 months. So, I am on a mission to losing some more weight and stabilise it, along with incorporating other things, like excersizing regularly, eating healthy and according to the level of activity, drinking beer just 1-2 times a week, enjoying other activities like reading, trekking, walking, being in the middle of nature as often as i can, paying more attention to myself and my partner, etc.

As for diet - I don't have one. I've tried some in the past, I also tried being vegan for almost an year - it was OK, but not my thing. I've done all this, because I want to be as informed as I can, and because I had to find out what suits me, my body, my metabolism, my life... For me, carbs don't work as well. I do more protein, more veggies and greens, healthy fats, legumes and carbs are probably the least I eat now. I do intake more carbs when we make wood oven baked pizza, pies, and I enjoy the hell out of them. I don't usually/regularly eat store bought bread, biscuits, chips, cookies, etc. anything processed. And when I do - and haven't made it myself - I go for a good , " clean "-ish chocolate or ice cream. But most importantly, I've learnt that going extreme ( like being a vegan, stop eating things altogether ) is not healthy and is not a long-term solution to anything. Cheers.

Yes, a 5'3" person at 200 should worry - 6'3" person... not so much.

I used to cycle before I got into weightlifting. My energy was through the roof. Could go for a 15 mile bike ride then go swing a pick axe for 4 hours. After getting hit by a car not once but twice, I transitioned out of cycling and into lifting. Before wuflu hit, I was almost exclusively doing power lifting. I was hitting new 1 rep max personal records on a near weekly basis, but definitely at a sacrifice of stamina. You have to pick a priority. It is one of funny to see guys at the gym who are shredded and strut around like a rooster, then sweat bullets deadlifting 150 pounds.

One of my inspirations was reading about the story of hafthor bjornsson. He plays "the mountain" on game of thrones. Believe it or not, he used to be a basketball player - 6'10", 165 pounds. Now he weighs 365 pounds and just set the deadlift World record for 1121 pounds!

You'll see plenty of that at the box gyms. Wife's former coworker who used to work out at the same gym we used to work out at looks shredded as hell but it's nothing but glamour muscle. One day I made him feel really bad about himself when he was struggling doing a few reps a few times of 135lb deadlifts. Then I walked up and rocked out a fairly rapid deload 5x5 at 315lb.

Also, I'm 5'11 to 6'0 depending on who measures. Enough so that doctors see my weight and based on BMI start crying "obese" when my bodyfat percentage is upper end of the "fit" range (or at least it was pre-COVID, a bit higher now). As I said initially, i physically could not attain an ideal BMI for my height/age without significant muscle loss- even at 0% bodyfat ie dead. Been the case for every lifter I've ever known.

Once COVID is past (or vaccine available or whatever) getting back to playing sport once a week (football, the feet kind, though tempted to get back into rugby which I haven't played since I was a child on the other side of the ocean) should get my conditioning/cardio/bodyfat back into check.

Might be useful for looking at overall health trends amongst the population but that's about it. Says very little about the individual.

Some doctors refuse to give up the ghost though.

I came here to start a fitness thread. I am so pleased to see one already here. I think it would be great if the reputation for home brewers was, “why are they all so damn fit?” I weight lift and cycle. I will lift 5 days a week, cycle a couple days then taper off through the year in favor of cycling 5 days a week and lifting a couple. I’ll taper back. I prefer lifting because it is far more useful to every day life but cycling is so enjoyable.

Having fitness goals keeps everything in check. If you are lifting 5 days a week and are serious, you won’t let yourself drink too much.

Thanks for the bump! It's good to check in on this thread every once in a while. Things have been a bit uneven this year, with COVID putting the gyms on hold and generally reducing exercise options.

I continue to run 5 days per week, logging more miles in 2020 than I did in 2019. Unfortunately, I stopped lifting after first getting kicked out of the gym, then losing motivation to approximate the workout at home. And of course, the drinking has been, er, shall we say "consistent" due to all of the crazy **** we've endured this year.

Fortunately I've only gained 5 lbs. and my running performance hasn't dropped. Still feeling good overall.

Back