Homebrew with backyard bamboo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therackman

Reaction score
Has anyone made homebrew with backyard bamboo shoots?

This time of year I have hundreds of bamboo shoots coming up in my backyard. My dogs pull them out and love to chew on them. This led me to wonder what they taste like and give them a try myself. They have an earthy flavor, with a light sweetness and are a little bitter. They seem like they'd be a fun ingredient in homebrew, but searching the forums I don't find any reports of their use. A google search gives me plenty of food recipes using bamboo shoots, but no homebrew recipes.

I may just give it a go by adding some shredded shoots to the next batch of my pale ale. I'd love some guidance on how to prepare them and how much to add if anyone else has tried this. I figure there's no way that I'm the first.

I appreciate the replies, but still no recipe info or specifics other than that bamboo was used in the production of a commercial beer. Has no one tried this on a homebrew?

Well if you want to be extra adventurous you could make bamboo sap wine by cutting of the growing tip and collecting the sap

Back