homebrew and fundraising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Reaction score
Hi,

At a race a few weeks ago it was illegal to sell beer on the premises, so they sold glasses and offered to fill it with a free beer.
Does anyone think one could do something similar with homebrew at a fundraising fair for a Non-Profit or is it too close to selling homebrew?

Last edited:
I think you can donate homebrew to a non-profit here in California and they can offer it for sale or consumption. They're still subject to regulation by ABC, the state oversight agency, as well as any local zoning or health laws that govern sales or consumption. If commercial beer sales are prohibited I don't see how homebrew would be okay.

Hi,

At a race a few weeks ago it was illegal to sell beer on the premises, so they sold glasses and offered to fill it with a free beer.
Does anyone think one could do something similar with homebrew at a fundraising fair for a Non-Profit or is it too close to selling homebrew?

What they did at that race was probably not legal in the eyes of most state agencies dealing with alcohol sales, especially if you had to have bought one of their glasses to get the "free" beer.

I'd scratch that idea or anything like it.

Yeah, I'm sure it goes by state but I would have to say it's most likely illegal. In Ohio you can't give away alcohol.

Hi,

There's a number of issues there, that vary state to state. Some states consider their laws legalizing homebrew to be predicated on consumption at home, shared with friends or consumed at small private events. What you're talking about may come too close to distribution for their comfort - may want to check with your state agency.

Then there's the question of whether a permit is required to have alcohol at the race and what sort of control measures it requires, and whether free beer is permitted. Again, checking with the state liquor agency's compliance division is your best bet.

it's 4 oz in michigan. Now you can fill 4 oz up all you want, but whenever we have a home brew meeting they remind us to only bring 4 oz glasses.. Then you can sample all you want.

it's 4 oz in michigan. Now you can fill 4 oz up all you want, but whenever we have a home brew meeting they remind us to only bring 4 oz glasses.. Then you can sample all you want.

But this only applies to homebrew club meetings held in locations that carry a Liquor License, such as a bar or brewery.

Selling a glass and filling with beer for free is most definitely going to be seen as selling beer in the eyes of every person who matters, no matter how badly someone wants to get around the system.

Back