Home Security

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyeggoxj

Reaction score
Does anyone here use home security cameras? I'd really like to setup a home system that records based on motion and keeps it stored locally. I don't mind if it is continually recording and then it just marks the timestamps where motion was detected. I would also need recording capability out to about a month. I do not want cloud support or the ability for the data to leave my home network. I like the convenience of the internet but I am leery of cloud based services.

I got thinking about this when I started adding up the cost of various tools and brewing equipment. I thought that it might be good to have backup to proper locks and visual barriers.

So anyone else on here concerned with home/brew shed security?

I've never thought about installing security for my equipment, but have had a wort chiller ripped off before :mad:

It was me being stupid though - brewed in my garage and cleaned things out in my driveway. I ended up forgetting to bring my chiller back inside that night, then noticed the following night when I was checking on my fermentation that I couldn't find my chiller. Was bummed, but that's what provoked me to get a counterflow chiller and I've been loving it ever since, so wasn't the worst possible ending!

Anyways, locks are definitely recommended, and having cameras up isn't a bad idea for both equipment and personal safety!

Cheers,
Matt

This thread is a little old but yes I have a home security camera installed at my place. It is outside and recording movement at the front of my house.

I have front door cams that record and send e-mails from motion. They usually only keep a little local because they are small. They can put the images together into a video but that usually requires additional software to make the vid. My setup uses my storage unit to compile the video. I had an extra cam so I put one in my fermenter to watch the bubbles </geekzone>

Front.jpg

Bubble.jpg

I have a couple different kinds. The ones pointing outside are Panasonic BL-c131. They are wireless. You can remotely move where they are looking and have sound. They were a couple hundred a pop but are very nice. I just got a couple d-link dcs-932l's. They are stationary view. They have pretty good night vision, they are also wireless. They were about $50 a pop.I use qnap storage devices for my home network. qnap storage devices have a list of compatible cameras that they can record the streams and put them into video files. Its the reason I chose the cameras. Not as happy with the d-link ones because the video is not as smooth as the panasonic ones, but they are a crap load cheaper.

I have a HooToo chinese camera that I bought off of Amazon ($100). The camera is sold under many different brand names but it is the same exact camera. The funny thing is that the HooToo brand label is stuck on the box the camera came in, so many different names could be stuck to the box. The camera is fixed and is wireless or wired. It has no sound and a 6mm lense.

I use iSpy software to capture video and stills. iSpy is free (open source) and available at www.ispyconnect.com. I have the iSpy software running on a Windows Vista pc that I had lying around.

I was running the camera wirelessly but found that the connection to my wifi router was weak and the camera disconnected quite regularly causing me to have to reset it. I ended up purchasing two Ubiquiti nanostation loco M2's and creating a wireless bridge between my house and my shed where the camera is mounted. This fixed the connection issue.

2014-03-21_08-15-39_804.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Doed for keeping my stock price up on Ubiquiti!

I use their Aircams and free NVR software to monitor my driveway and garage.
Outdoor camera is fixed position with no sound, night vision is weak on current generation but you can add a different lens or pop off the IR filter from the factory lens and it helps. Indoor dome camera does support sound.

http://www.ubnt.com/airvision

I have also been playing with their mFi gear which is awesome for environment details and security as well as I can have it tell me when my garage door is open or a motion sensor tripped.

Those Nanostations rock. I just eyeballed their alignment and they are cranking the throughput. Of course they are only about 200' apart. I'll have to check out the other stuff you mentioned.

I hope you turned down the power on those, they are designed for miles not feet :) I do use them to link buildings together as well for the small WISP I run.

Those Nanostations rock. I just eyeballed their alignment and they are cranking the throughput. Of course they are only about 200' apart. I'll have to check out the other stuff you mentioned.

Back