Home Depot really wants me to drink bottled beer while I'm painting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I might be slow, but I eventually figure out what everybody else already knew: the paint can opener that I get free with every can of Behr paint at Home depot doubles as a bottle opener. Oof. What else have I been missing?

1628547614088.png

About 10 years ago I was at home watching PBS Saturday morning cooking shows, specifically Jacques Pepin Fast Food My Way.

He opened up a crown cap bottle with a spoon, simple lever. Kinda blew my mind, so I immediately started trying it out.

Ever since then I've found I can open any crown cap with flatware, wrenches, screwdrivers and especially BIC lighters! :D 🤣 :cool:

About 10 years ago I was at home watching PBS Saturday morning cooking shows, specifically Jacques Pepin Fast Food My Way.

He opened up a crown cap bottle with a spoon, simple lever. Kinda blew my mind, so I immediately started trying it out.

Ever since then I've found I can open any crown cap with flatware, wrenches, screwdrivers and especially BIC lighters! :D 🤣 :cool:
My cousin showed me that when I was newly 21 and frantically looking for a bottle opener for my beer. I do it all the time now, if of course I don’t have my keychain bottle opener. People tend to be amazed at simple mechanics. Good party trick

We should all email HD as HD promotes themselves as DIY. Well, we're surly DIY and whom knows, if HD gets enough requests...

There's a place of sight and sound, somewhere over the horizon, neither night or day, but with full bags of malt. The next stop HD.

Solid Rod Serling. Nice.

Imagine, if you will…
There's a sign post ahead... next stop... HD

Don't make me do it! Haha, I'm a massive fan, and I can quote verbatim a lot of the opening monologue of Rod's. I used to get the Twilight Zone Magazine, it had scripts, and my brother and I used to enact each one when we got the mag. Haha.

(have you guys checked out Black Mirror on Netflix? No Rod, but wow some awesome episodes, and every bit as good as Twilight Zone or Night Gallery).

If you’re of a certain age you might remember a program which began with a bald, rotund, gentleman solemnly intoning “Goood eve-a-ning…”
Man, you're old. AH Presents. I also remember the radio shows (EG Marshall, et al.). My ADHD doesn't allow me to watch a lot of TV, but I've seen enough.

If you’re of a certain age you might remember a program which began with a bald, rotund, gentleman solemnly intoning “Goood eve-a-ning…”

Haha, remember when the broadcast day actually ended with the national anthem, then a test pattern and and awful tone, and then snow? haha, that would wake me up.

Unsure about mixing use of a nail gun with beer...

Next up. Ladders with beer warning stickers on the ladder.

I always get strange looks when I tell people that we should take the warning labels off everything and just let natural selection and survival of the fittest run its course. 😆

I remember listening to The Shadow/Lamont Cranston radio show while my dad drove us up north to go skiing, though tbh I usually fell asleep by the time the first episode ended...

Cheers!

The nostalgia is suddenly high in the thread...

oh the days when AM radio and those 3, maybe 4 channels you could get on the telly actually had something interesting to consume...

also when AM radios in cars could pick up Guam. <sigh>

I always get strange looks when I tell people that we should take the warning labels off everything and just let natural selection and survival of the fittest run its course. 😆

i never take warning labels lightly, even though sometimes they can be funny....i had a can of sodium metal, i want'd to get rid of it, and right when i was about to flush it down the toilet....noticed, and stoped to read, the warning never mix with water....damn that would have been nasty! :mug:

i never take warning labels lightly, even though sometimes they can be funny....i had a can of sodium metal, i want'd to get rid of it, and right when i was about to flush it down the toilet....noticed, and stoped to read, the warning never mix with water....damn that would have been nasty! :mug:

That would have been bad! 😬

I'm just laughing at how so many of us would go to home depot for brewing equipment before they even sold brewing equipment (e.g. paint strainer bags, buckets, vinyl tubing)...not that I would ever do such a thing :ghostly:

A standard wedding band will open a bottle of beer like a champ. I bought a stainless steel one for just that purpose. Steer clear of “comfort fit”. You don’t want beveled edges.

what in the world brought you to buy a can of sodium metal? and I assume it was packed under a layer of some kind of light oil so that it wouldn't spontaneously combust from the moisture in the air when you opened the can.

Need a bottle opener in a hotel room? The latch strike plate on the bathroom door frame usually works
Now THAT brings up memories - I was in sales and travelled the 13 Western states - did that all the time! Make sure to wrap a hotel hand towel around the bottle, sometimes you can lose a little beer because of the angle!

Attachments

• EE5E75A6-6DA2-4CF2-A724-B4A5524660B8.jpeg
    EE5E75A6-6DA2-4CF2-A724-B4A5524660B8.jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 7
Don't make me do it! Haha, I'm a massive fan, and I can quote verbatim a lot of the opening monologue of Rod's. I used to get the Twilight Zone Magazine, it had scripts, and my brother and I used to enact each one when we got the mag. Haha.

(have you guys checked out Black Mirror on Netflix? No Rod, but wow some awesome episodes, and every bit as good as Twilight Zone or Night Gallery).
From what I understand Rod really didn't want to do Night Gallery. He didn't write any of the shows. Apparently he was paid enough to introduce the show, but that's it.

He probably had enough $$$ from the Planet of the Apes movies.

Back