Home Depot really wants me to drink bottled beer while I'm painting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you’re of a certain age you might remember a program which began with a bald, rotund, gentleman solemnly intoning “Goood eve-a-ning…”
I really didn't care for the Alfred Hitchcock TV show. Nor for "One Step Beyond" (IMO, awful). However, the original Outer Limits was good.

Haha, remember when the broadcast day actually ended with the national anthem, then a test pattern and and awful tone, and then snow? haha, that would wake me up.

The Cheech & Chong "Hey, man what are you watching?". "Um, an Indian movie, but it's really boring." "Man, that's no Indian movie, that's a test pattern!"

Last edited:
i never take warning labels lightly, even though sometimes they can be funny....i had a can of sodium metal, i want'd to get rid of it, and right when i was about to flush it down the toilet....noticed, and stoped to read, the warning never mix with water....damn that would have been nasty! :mug:
Fun story. I used to work in a field that used marine grade flares for training (and safety) purposes. We had a policy that we could use expired flares, as long as they were less than 10 years expired. Well, most people never need to use their flares, found out that we would take them, so we wound up with two 6'x3'X2' metal chests full of expired flares. When they were past 10 years, they just sat there forever, because NOBODY RECYCLES THEM! So, one bay of the garage I used to work at is sitting chock full of phosphorous just waiting for the A/C to go out on a 100+ degree day and burn the block down.

We seriously couldn't find one place to take them off our hands. This may have changed, hopefully has, but as of about a decade ago, those things were just timebombs.

i never take warning labels lightly, even though sometimes they can be funny....i had a can of sodium metal, i want'd to get rid of it, and right when i was about to flush it down the toilet....noticed, and stoped to read, the warning never mix with water....damn that would have been nasty! :mug:
Where the f are you getting pure non-denatured sodium from!

this is back in 2002, when i was 22 or so.
Gotcha

After a quick google search, it seems as though any average Joe can go out and buy pure sodium. This seems awfully crazy to me. Part of me wants to go out and buy some so I can amaze people that water can cause flames and explosions

From what I understand Rod really didn't want to do Night Gallery. He didn't write any of the shows. Apparently he was paid enough to introduce the show, but that's it.

He probably had enough $$$ from the Planet of the Apes movies.

He wanted to do it, but gave up much of the creative control, a decision he later regretted. The show's producer would throw some weird shiat into some of the episodes, like short comedic fillers between the three parts. Flip Wilson doing a 30 second gag as an interlude...on Night Gallery?

The show was still solid in its first run in the early '70s, though some of the reruns of it were edited from 60 to 30 minutes.

Amazon has the entire series on DVD for around $25--it's tempting. I can always FF through the Flip Wilson segments.

Gotcha

After a quick google search, it seems as though any average Joe can go out and buy pure sodium. This seems awfully crazy to me. Part of me wants to go out and buy some so I can amaze people that water can cause flames and explosions

i saw a youtube video just like that....i've seen youtube videos on how to make it too....

but that's exactly why i don't mind warning labels! except prop 65! i really don't need a warning on my canister of oxygen that it causes cancer.......or my grain mill, or, etc, etc.....

What else have I been missing?
I think the only other thing, in all of existence you might be missing, is that the spaghetti claw with a hole in it has the purpose of measuring out a single portion.
1628622787556.png

The Cheech & Chong "Hey, man what are you watching?". "Um, an Indian movie, but it's really boring." "Man, that's no Indian movie, that's a test pattern!"

*Changes the channel* "Oh look man, it's a horror movie!" "Far out man! Is that Jane Fonda?" "No, not that kind of whore movie. Scary, like this...* makes ghost noises*

but that's exactly why i don't mind warning labels! except prop 65! i really don't need a warning on my canister of oxygen that it causes cancer.......or my grain mill, or, etc, etc.....
I was searching for tires for my truck recently, and one site had the prop65 warning on the tire page. The question that popped into my head was "do Californians chew on their tires?"

I really want me to drink bottled beer while I'm painting.

Maybe not. My best friend and I worked our Junior HS summer for a landscaper who used us for all kinds of non-landscaping jobs, like re-roofing his barn and repainting his rental properties. By the end of the summer we were so tired of working indoors or on roofs in the heat we got ploughed on Bud while doing some interior painting and proceeded to lose the delineation between baseboards, carpet, and wallpaper.

It was awful :D

We caught hell and were fired the next day - this after working five summer for the bastid owner.
Sure we deserved it, but still, eff'im, we were much better off :)

Cheers!

Wow so I was initially intrigued by @passedpawn’s post because it’s a light bulb moment when you realize that it has 2 purposes but after reading about all the old tv and radio shows it took me back to when I was a kid. My dad is almost 45 years older than me so listening to old radio shows was his thing and he had them on most weekend nights. Thanks for that stroll down memory lane.

I loved TZ and Night Gallery, and sometimes late at night laying in bed I'd listen to coast to coast AM with George Noory. I miss my shortwave radio, there was so much eerie weirdness to browse.

Sometimes I would tune in to a numbers station, a woman's voice in Spanish counting up from zero to ten, then it would say siete cero. It would repeat over and over, endlessly. I dunno why but I couldn't hear it enough. I think it was a Cuban or central American intelligence agency communicating with operatives in north America.

I loved TZ and Night Gallery, and sometimes late at night laying in bed I'd listen to coast to coast AM with George Noory. I miss my shortwave radio, there was so much eerie weirdness to browse.

Sometimes I would tune in to a numbers station, a woman's voice in Spanish counting up from zero to ten, then it would say siete cero. It would repeat over and over, endlessly. I dunno why but I couldn't hear it enough. I think it was a Cuban or central American intelligence agency communicating with operatives in north America.

I've been fantasizing about getting a radio (icom 7300). Hoist a rediculous antenna over my house. Get licensed. I dunno, seems like another useless hobby dammit.

I've been fantasizing about getting a radio (icom 7300). Hoist a rediculous antenna over my house. Get licensed. I dunno, seems like another useless hobby dammit.
Icon 7300, now that is a serious piece of kit. We had an Archer crossbow on a mast bolted to the garage and a Teaberry Twin T haha. Didn't know what we were doing, just some random stuff my grandpa left behind. But my crappy SW radio, it wasn't worth ten bucks, though I'd pay ten times that to have it back.

Happy school days, evenings canoeing on the lake and the science teacher would throw bits of sodium at us whilst we paddled around. If you could catch and hold the fast moving sodium under water with your paddle it would explode and take the end of your paddle off.
Ahh Happy days.

Now bits of potassium were far more dangerous.

[QUOTE="Jayjay1976, post: 9145140, member: 230769"

[/QUOTE]

Cuban spy number station.

Consider digital mode, WSPR or low power. Amazing results with proper propagation. There are Raspberry Pi projects that will get on air. Use the money saved from not purchasing the 7300 and put towards brewing.

Has anyone ever seen this? As I opened HBT this morning a window popped up asking if I wanted to gift Garrett_McT a lifetime membership for $200 or a one year membership for $25. Garrett_McT I'm sure you're a nice person but.. WTF

Not beer bottles, but we were in a pinch with bottles of wine at a hotel room. I had deck screws and a pliers in the car which worked pretty well. I've since seen a technique hitting the bottle (in a shoe) against the wall but I've never tried it. We have a corkscrew in each of the cars now and I have a bottle opener on my keychain.

I have also squeaked a bottle top off with one of those white, cheap Bic pens, TV remote (not a great idea), butter knife (of course), flat head screwdriver (of course) but strangely, never a small crow bar or hammer.

Easiest way to open a bottle: just use 3x the amount of sugar when bottling homebrew. Bottle will open itself all magical-like when it is ready to be drank. For example, this octoberfest I brewed:

View attachment 738760
Nice and if you aren't sober enough or feel faint from blood loss the vessel topples over to keep you from overdrinking.

Back