Home Brew Kit - does the yeast packet or anything expire? 4/5 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuccaneerBrew28

Reaction score
Hello,

About 4-5 months ago I bought a Brew kit from nothern brewer - ace of spades black ipa. Do I need to worry about the dry yeast packet or anything else expiring? I plan to brew tomorrow and wanted to check if there is anything I should be worried about.

You will get a variety of answers to this question but I'll give you my .02

If it was a year I would be more hesitant to brew with it, however many people will tell you they've experienced otherwise.

Dry yeasts tend to last longer than liquid yeast but your fermentation might be a bit slower since I'm guessing you didn't keep it in the fridge just underneath the cap of the liquid malt extract.

You may want to consider getting another dry yeast packet or go with what they gave you...either way you will have beer assuming fermentation kicks off.

Hard to say. If the pack was relatively fresh when you purchased, and it was kept refrigerated you should be good. If the yeast was already 4 months old when you purchased, you'd be best served getting a new pack. Is there a date on it?

Yeast is good, don't worry about it. Dried yeast will stay viable for several years at room temperature, and almost indefinitely at fridge temps.

Fresh is always best, but kits will do fine for several months, even a year or more. Hops would have done better in fridge (freezer even better), but will still be good.

Brew it and enjoy it.

Back