Home aging whisky, long term

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polboy

Reaction score
I saw a friend today and he shared his story with me, he was buying good bottle of bourbon for his father and he was explaining to his 7 year old son about liquor and aging and that you have to be 21 to drink ect.
Next day the little guy comes to him with a plan, he wants (and he is 7) to age, at home a liquor for 14 years so he can drink it with his father when 21, my friend like the idea (and i do too) and now we want to do it but hym... we dont know how.
Im thinking about taking 5 galon carboy, filling it with whisky and adding some toasted oak spiral. It would be great to get some unaged whisky (i think its called white dog) but i dont know where to get it
Is there a way to buy whisky like that and get it in bulk somewhere?
I proposed glass carboy to avoid problem of evaporation and over aging for oak barrel of small size but im not sure its the best way to go
What do you guys think, suggestion appreciated

It could be done, but I am not sure oak spirals would have the same effect as ageing in a barrel. Even in a barrel, whisky is typically blended, some batches come out awesome, others not so much, so blending smooths them all together.

You can by 5G barrels, don't know if they're toasted for whisky. Sounds like a cool experiment, would be a big investment!

Buy a high dollar Jack Daniels place it on the shelf. Let the boy taste it now and then he will appreciate it latter.

Back