Holding mash.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigstaubbie

Reaction score
Due to work schedule, I don't have the 6 to 8 hours to brew. Would it be OK to mash then boil the following day?

It will sour on you from lacto on the grain.

This!

Have you ever left your spent grain in the garage for a couple of days during the summer? Try it, the smell is quite putrid...it's a resourceful breeding ground for all kinds of bacteria, and a lot of brewers move it from their brew space asap to prevent any contamination to their brews.

It will sour on you from lacto on the grain.

During the mash the grains and water will be within the pasteurization temperature range and the lacto will die. With a lid on the mash tun, there will not be enough bacteria get in to be a problem. Many of us have done an overnight mash and boiled the next day.

Now to the bigger issue. With 6 to 8 hours to work with, why don't you have the mash completed and the wort chilled? If you change your procedures you have plenty of time. Look into getting a better crush and BIAB. I often have the wort chilling and equipment put away in less than 3 hours so you should be able to do it in 6.:ban:

Read again, I don't have the 6 to 8 hours brew time right now. Wasn't sure if I could boil next day or not. Thanks, boiling the next day will be awesome. I'll still be able to brew every other week.

I just mashed and sparge the night before. Collected the wort in the boil kettle, raise the temp to 180 and wrap it for the night. Got up the next morning and boiled away. So far so good. Had no weird tastes throughout the process. I'll let you know how the beer turned out in a few weeks.

Do a mash-out at high temperatures to pasteurize the mash and you should be all good, lots of people are doing this, no need to worry about lacto, just cover your tun with cellophane wrap or something.

Back