Hit FG in 5 days. How long should I wait to keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedude

Reaction score
I'm doing a basic 5 gallon pale ale in my conical. Fermenting at 65 degrees internal.

OG 1.05. Using us-05 yeast it hit FG in about 5 days. (1.01). Right now I'm on day 11 after adding the 2 oz Citra dry hops 3 days ago.

When should I keg this? It smelled like green apples for the first few days then cleaned up nicely. It now smells characteristic for a pale ale.

I'm doing a basic 5 gallon pale ale in my conical. Fermenting at 65 degrees internal.

OG 1.05. Using us-05 yeast it hit FG in about 5 days. (1.01). Right now I'm on day 11 after adding the 2 oz Citra dry hops 3 days ago.

When should I keg this? It smelled like green apples for the first few days then cleaned up nicely. It now smells characteristic for a pale ale.

At 1.010, you could probably go ahead and keg. If you want to play it safe, see if that reading is the same 2-3 days from now, then you'll know for sure you can keg it.

I am usually done in 4-5 days. I let it sit til day 7-10. Then chill for 2 days, add gelatin and sit for 2-3 days then keg and let carb for 10.

At 1.010, you could probably go ahead and keg. If you want to play it safe, see if that reading is the same 2-3 days from now, then you'll know for sure you can keg it.

It's been at Final (1.01) for 5 or 6 days now. I was just worried about when I keep reading regarding yeast "cleaning" up

I am usually done in 4-5 days. I let it sit til day 7-10. Then chill for 2 days, add gelatin and sit for 2-3 days then keg and let carb for 10.

Ok thanks! Carb for 10 days? Do you add priming sugar to your keg? I was under the impression force carbing a keg only takes 2-3 days.

It's been at Final (1.01) for 5 or 6 days now. I was just worried about when I keep reading regarding yeast "cleaning" up

Ok thanks! Carb for 10 days? Do you add priming sugar to your keg? I was under the impression force carbing a keg only takes 2-3 days.

5-6 days? Go ahead and keg 'er up!

Force carbing does take a couple of days. Some here like to do it the old fashion way or just leave the co2 at serving pressure to avoid over carbing. I usually have mine set at 30 psi for a couple of days, then bump the pressure down to about 12psi for the remainder of the week. Nice and carbed up by the end of the work week.

5-6 days? Go ahead and keg 'er up!

Force carbing does take a couple of days. Some here like to do it the old fashion way or just leave the co2 at serving pressure to avoid over carbing. I usually have mine set at 30 psi for a couple of days, then bump the pressure down to about 12psi for the remainder of the week. Nice and carbed up by the end of the work week.

Thanks for the info! I haven't cold crashed her at all, but she's been around 63-65. I did a boil with whirlfloc and I have some Biofine laying around. I don't have a good setup to cold crash this conical at the moment. Would Biofine even put a dent in the possible cloudiness? It's an extract brew pale ale with 2 oz dry hop pellets.

Yeast cleanup doesn't take long, maybe a couple days, but flocculation and settling do take time. If you keg at day 7 (yes your beer can be fermented and the yeast can have finished cleanup by then if done right) you'll have a large amount of yeast suspended that will settle out in your keg. If you leave the beer in the fermenter for a longer time, more of that yeast will be settled out in the fermenter and stay there instead of going to the keg.

Force carbonation can be done in a couple days too but you have to raise the pressure, maybe agitate the keg too to get the CO2 absorbed into the beer, then release pressure slowly to get to serving pressure. If you put the keg on gas at serving pressure the process takes longer.

OG 1.05. Using us-05 yeast it hit FG in about 5 days. (1.01).

For what it's worth, you should look to increase the accuracy of the numbers you provide regarding gravity. For instance, you are saying 1.01 which should be reported 1.010 and that would be a great final gravity for a lot of styles, but your 1.01 might also mean 1.019 which might tell us 'no, she's not done yet."

Good luck.

For what it's worth, you should look to increase the accuracy of the numbers you provide regarding gravity. For instance, you are saying 1.01 which should be reported 1.010 and that would be a great final gravity for a lot of styles, but your 1.01 might also mean 1.019 which might tell us 'no, she's not done yet."

Good luck.

Good point. I'll be sure to do that from now on. The final gravity was 1.010 - the meniscus was right on the line.

Thanks for the info! I haven't cold crashed her at all, but she's been around 63-65. I did a boil with whirlfloc and I have some Biofine laying around. I don't have a good setup to cold crash this conical at the moment. Would Biofine even put a dent in the possible cloudiness? It's an extract brew pale ale with 2 oz dry hop pellets.

I "cold crash" by letting time run its course. When it's ready to keg, I just rack it, purge the O2, then hit with co2 at 30psi for a couple of days.

I don't use any fining agents other than a whirlfloc addition at 15 minutes and my beers have looked very clear.

Back