"historic" Belgian parti gyle process?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHC_

Reaction score
I've been seriously pondering a parti gyle for 15-20 gallons. In my limited understanding, tripel was first runnings, dubbel was second runnings and enkel/patersbier was third runnings.
It would a ridiculously long brew day but could be a lot of fun. My hope is to throw a quad in there too for a total of 20 gallons.

What I don't understand is how to get a tripel after the quad. With the darker specialty grains, I'm not sure how I could get a light colored tripel.
Also, how do you get a light colored tripel then a darker color dubbel and a lighter enkel? If you cap the mash for the dubbel then you'd be bound to get some darker colors in the enkel...right?

I've only done one parti gyle so far, IIPA and an IPA, both turned out well and gravities we're close to what I expected using a 60/40 split of sugars. I'm just not sure on either how to guess gravities for 3-4 different runoffs or how to keep the enkel light after capping the mash for the dubbel other than perhaps steeping the specialty grains but that doesn't seem very "traditional" in my mind...

Long post, I know.
Any input?

Just had a thought, was the darker color/flavor of a dubbel done solely w sugar addition in the boil?

And maybe traditional enkel wasn't as light as the two examples I've seen...

Back