Hill Farmstead Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing a slightly older thread back to life, but I got a lot of info/inspiration from this thread, so figured I'd contribute to the discussion. Just brewed up my first go at a mixed-ferm saison today. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

(BIAB)
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons
OG: 1.050
ABV: 5.19%
IBU: 13.84
SRM: 5.48

Grains
3 lb - American - Pilsner (65.5%)
0.8 lb - American - White Wheat (17.5%)
0.32 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (7%)
0.46 lb - Flaked Oats (10%)

Hops
60 min - 0.15 oz - East Kent Goldings
15 min - 0.20 oz - Saaz
10 min - 0.10 oz - East Kent Goldings
10 min - 0.12 oz - Motueka
5 min - 0.12 oz - Motueka

Yeast: TYB Saison/Brett Blend II, and 3F dregs

Water Profile: mash pH - 5.25, Ca - 53, Mg - 5, Na -31, SO4 - 79, Cl - 99

Infusion mashed at 154F for 90 min, with 90 min boil

Planning on slowly ramping up temp in primary from 68F to ~78F over the next 3-4 weeks, then racking onto oak cubes in secondary for a few months.

Bringing a slightly older thread back to life, but I got a lot of info/inspiration from this thread, so figured I'd contribute to the discussion. Just brewed up my first go at a mixed-ferm saison today. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

(BIAB)
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons
OG: 1.050
ABV: 5.19%
IBU: 13.84
SRM: 5.48

Grains
3 lb - American - Pilsner (65.5%)
0.8 lb - American - White Wheat (17.5%)
0.32 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (7%)
0.46 lb - Flaked Oats (10%)

Hops
60 min - 0.15 oz - East Kent Goldings
15 min - 0.20 oz - Saaz
10 min - 0.10 oz - East Kent Goldings
10 min - 0.12 oz - Motueka
5 min - 0.12 oz - Motueka

Yeast: TYB Saison/Brett Blend II, and 3F dregs

Water Profile: mash pH - 5.25, Ca - 53, Mg - 5, Na -31, SO4 - 79, Cl - 99

Infusion mashed at 154F for 90 min, with 90 min boil

Planning on slowly ramping up temp in primary from 68F to ~78F over the next 3-4 weeks, then racking onto oak cubes in secondary for a few months.

Looks great. Water profile looks spot on. I also love honey malt in saisons. I bet that will turn out quite well.

In primary?

Yup! Although I personally have zero experience so far, I based my decision off of the mad fermentationist's suggestions. Pitching dregs in primary with your regular sacc/Brett strains supposedly allows for the dregs character to be imparted more quickly. If pitched in secondary, I think you'd have to pitch much more/build up a starter and let it condition longer

Yup! Although I personally have zero experience so far, I based my decision off of the mad fermentationist's suggestions. Pitching dregs in primary with your regular sacc/Brett strains supposedly allows for the dregs character to be imparted more quickly. If pitched in secondary, I think you'd have to pitch much more/build up a starter and let it condition longer

Agree that primary is the way to go. Let it get started early and grow a bit more so it’s part of your overall culture.

Do you build up the dregs before pitching into primary or pitch them right from the bottle?

Right from the bottle and let the culture build up over time. The more that ends up going in, the more diverse and interesting the results, IMO. Each batch turns out differently, but that’s perfect for blending and keeps things interesting.

Right from the bottle and let the culture build up over time. The more that ends up going in, the more diverse and interesting the results, IMO. Each batch turns out differently, but that’s perfect for blending and keeps things interesting.

Would it be a concern to you if the bottle you're sourcing the dregs from is know to use wine yeast or champagne yeast to condition?

Would it be a concern to you if the bottle you're sourcing the dregs from is know to use wine yeast or champagne yeast to condition?

Yes, I wouldn’t do that except in an experimental batch where you’re not planning to have the cake as your main source of your house culture. There are resources out there on which wine strains are killer strains, but never know for sure what’s being used and I wouldn’t want to create issues for the Sacch. in my main blend.

But if you’re interested, certainly worth pursuing as a side batch to see how it turns out and, if well, try it again as a separate mixture.

Yes, I wouldn’t do that except in an experimental batch where you’re not planning to have the cake as your main source of your house culture. There are resources out there on which wine strains are killer strains, but never know for sure what’s being used and I wouldn’t want to create issues for the Sacch. in my main blend.

But if you’re interested, certainly worth pursuing as a side batch to see how it turns out and, if well, try it again as a separate mixture.

Awesome! Thanks. I think I'll just go ahead with pitching my 3726 starter with a vial of WL Brett C in primary. After reading through this thread I though maybe I could throw some dregs from a bottle of HF but I'm fairly certain they've been using 1118 for at least some of their bottle refermentations.

Awesome! Thanks. I think I'll just go ahead with pitching my 3726 starter with a vial of WL Brett C in primary. After reading through this thread I though maybe I could throw some dregs from a bottle of HF but I'm fairly certain they've been using 1118 for at least some of their bottle refermentations.
I’ve had reasonable success using hf dregs as a secondary yeast addition towards the end of primary. My reasoning has been that I’d let the main pitch of yeast ferment the majority of the simple sugars prior to adding the dregs and just not worry about whether the bottling strain from hf kills the sac from my original pitch. My understanding has been that the killer wine strains most likely dont kill Brett which is what I’m after anyways. The handful of beers I’ve made like this have all taken a lengthy period of time to bottle condition to a point where they really hit their stride though.

Ended up going with a 3726 with TYB184 and Brett C. Right after I finished chilling, I filled a carboy and two 500ml mason jars with wort from the brew. I pitched each of vials into their own mason jar and my starter of 3726 into the carboy once I got it to pitching temp. The next morning I saw fermentation had started in the carboy and pitched the contents of each mason jar into the main carboy. Now for some patience.

HF Dorothy really floored me when I first tried it a while back. I tried twice last year to make something close and didn't really get there. My brewing goal this year is to dial in a homebrew batch that I can make on a regular basis.
Just finished a 3 month fermentation of a saison / grisette using Omega Yeast Labs C2C American Farmhouse. Its Hill Farmstead yeast with Logsdon Brett. Really impressed by it... didn't even change the water profile as I wanted to keep all things constant to see how it performed but it really tastes like a HF beer.

65% Pale Malt
25% White Wheat
10% Flaked Oats
Saaz @ FWH
Citra @ 10
Wish I would've dry hopped though :(

Not fully carbed yet in this photo
ry%3D480
Today I used this grain bill with the exception of adding 1% carafa III The reason I did this is I am attempting to get the tartness by pitching goodbelly probiotic first then pitching my WL Saison I yeast cake from my "Gueuze" project. The goodbelly was pomegranate/ blackberry and I was afraid it would tint my golden saison so threw in the carafa to help hide it. Also made a little extra so I can age a gallon on fresh blackberries from my neighbors yard. I know this batch won't be the Dorothy clone I'm striving for but hopefully these are techniques that will get me close and just have to get a goodbelly Lacto that won't tint my wort next time.

I have both C2C and TYB 184 which I'm looking to turn loose on some saison wort relatively soon.

Would ya'll recommend a co-pitch, or should I let the TYB184 have the munch on the leftovers once C2C has enjoyed the bulk of the sugars?

Last edited:
I have both C2C and TYB 184 which I'm looking to turn loose on some saison wort relatively soon.

Would ya'll recommend a co-pitch, or should I let the TYB184 have the munch on the leftovers once C2C has enjoyed the bulk of the sugars?

I copitched and really enjoyed the result! But that’s been my standard procedure for any mixed ferm so I don’t have any experience otherwise!

While I'm at it, I've got two more questions...
  • You guys are mostly leavings this on the yeast in primary for the extent of aging?
  • Anyone kegging these? Any major differences, assuming natural conditioning in the keg?

• You guys are mostly leavings this on the yeast in primary for the extent of aging?
  • Anyone kegging these? Any major differences, assuming natural conditioning in the keg?
My three attempts at a HF style tart saison have not seen extended aging. My latest attempt will be aged the longest as I couldn't get it bottled before our family started our moving process. My goal is to bottle as soon as we get a new place but could be another month and a half or so. If you're worried about it sitting on the primary yeast purge a vessel and transfer (under pressure ideally) and there should be enough microbes still in suspension to handle the rest. Just my random thoughts on it.

Left my first attempt on the yeast for about 5 months with seemingly no ill affect. Developed some isovaleric in the bottle that took some time to clear up however. The rest of my attempts were along a similar time frame but all transferred to kegs after primary and ended slightly cleaner. Could be a non factor but just what I noticed!

Back