Higher temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. Is it possible to ruin my beer by pitching dry yeast at a temp of 88 degrees f?

depends on how picky you are? how easily you get hung over? if you're trying to win prizes?

i mean bakers proof in 100f water all the time, it won't kill the yeast or anything...and bakers like "off-flavors" in their breads....besides 'wonder'...
:mug:

Hi. Is it possible to ruin my beer by pitching dry yeast at a temp of 88 degrees f?
Define "ruin" - you won't have killed the yeast.

The numbers typically quoted are that lager yeast die at 37°C (~98°F) and ale yeast die at 42°C (~107°F) but it does vary quite a bit by strain so don't view those temperatures as a challenge!

And the ideal growth temperature for ale yeast is typically around 30°C (86°F), but we ferment at lower temperatures as they create far more off-flavours at high temperatures.

So your yeast should be happy enough, although lager yeast will be stressed by those temperatures, and unhappy yeast are not good for your fermentation.

Assuming you got the temperature down after pitching then you should be fine, maybe a few more fusels etc than you would have had otherwise.

Back