higher temp fermenting with lager wyeast 2206

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switcher

Reaction score
So my first brew attempt was a bock style with a dry lager yeast. I was also told I should use wyeast along with kit yeast for better outcome, also because I added a pound more brown sugar and a bit of honey to try and get higher gravity. I pitched with wort about 60 degrees with original gravity of 1.060. I put it in my cooled office with fans and ice surrounding it. Well I couldn't lower the temp lower than 73 degrees. And the airlock was percolating pretty steady for 3 days. I was able to lower into an ice bath getting temp to about 63 for now. Should things be ok...airlock has almost stopped bubbling on night of third day.

The ideal fermentation temperature for this yeast is 46-58F.

To make a true bock, you should have fermentated this one at about 48-50F until it reached 75% of expected FG. Since your OG was 1.060, you should have fermented at 48-50F until it reached about 1.034 (1.06-1.015 * .75). You should have then done a 48 hour diacetyl rest at room temp to get down to FG. You would then want to lager at about 34-36F for about 6-8 weeks.

That's the process for a true lagered bock.

Since you didn't get anywhere close to the ideal temps, you have basically make a steam beer version of a bock. You are going to have some off flavors that you'll need to condition out. You may still like it as is, and it's still going to resemble a bock, but you are going to have some extra flavors going on due to the high fermentation temps. If you like it as is, cool, if not, plan on an additional 4-6 weeks of bottle/keg conditioning to mellow the off flavors.

Sorry man, you need to follow the recommended fermentation temps very closely, it is one of the more important aspects of brewing, especially lager brewing!

Good luck!

Thanks...I got my mini fridge set up so I think I'm going to put it in a secondary and condition it for a couple of weeks for sure....thanks...next one I won't be so eager

Back