High OG readings of last two batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
The last two batches have been reading higher than expected original specific gravity readings (using a hydrometer and calibrated for temp) compared to what the kit sheet was expecting and what beersmith was calculating. My first few batches have been spot on but now all of a sudden they are reading high. For example, I just brewed a maple syrup dark ale and I was expecting an OG of 1.049 but I read 1.060. I think I mixed the topped-off wort well. I also put the sanitized hydrometer straight into the bucket. I figured if I didn't mix well enough, the lighter water would go to the top and result in a low OG. What could I be doing wrong?

Btw, I tested the hydrometer in water at 60*.

If it's an extract batch and you have the correct volume, then you just aren't getting a good mix. Extract has a known amount of sugar (so does maple syrup). If you put a known amount of sugar in a known amount of water, you get the stated gravity.

On the next batch, double check your volume readings and weigh out the ingredients to confirm those measurements. Some directions call for 5.5 gallons etc

If it's an extract batch and you have the correct volume, then you just aren't getting a good mix. Extract has a known amount of sugar (so does maple syrup). If you put a known amount of sugar in a known amount of water, you get the stated gravity.

On the next batch, double check your volume readings and weigh out the ingredients to confirm those measurements. Some directions call for 5.5 gallons etc

I haven't pitched the yeast yet so I'll double check the volume when I get home.

Back