High Gravity 120v system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
Anyone using this system and if so what are your thoughts about it? I see its 2250w boil coil just wondering what people think of it that have it. Cheers

Bump for you, and because I have similar question. Looking for a new rig and want to know if people are happy with this or regret and wish they went 240v. That is not an option for me on where and how I want to use. Also would like to know if people feel 10 gallon is sufficient for full range of 5 gallon batches.

I also have been looking into this system. The review posted by aristoi is very informative. Basic Brewing podcast has a discount code for High gravity that takes another $75 off the price. That code is EBC75BB. I don't know if this code is still good or not. I have been listening to some old episodes, but I'm pretty sure they gave that code out on the annual disaster episode that was posted on 12-20-18. So it could still be good.

Beer Lord and Aristoi, I'm also considering this system and had some very specific questions related to my needs which were promptly answered by Dave via the chat feature on HG's website.

If it's of any interest to any of you, the a fair amount of customization possible beyond what's on the site. I was interested in automated multi step mashes and Dave Len me know that for $50 extra he could use Auber's 320 controller in the WortHog box as opposed to the standard DSPR120.

Looking forward to some user feedback on the 120v on this thread. There's not much on YouTube and Reddit and the forums.

Dave and his gang are super easy to communicate with and their customer service is top notch. I've passed a few emails Dave's way and in almost every instance, got a reply in short order. He's always to the point and I know 2 others with a very similar system to mine (both a few years old) and they say the same thing.
I don't do step mashing but Dave customizes many kits so I've not doubt he'll do right by you.

One other thing to note: I've gotten 2 emails and heard on the Basic Brewing Radio podcast that prices are going up on Feb. 1st and the $200 discount will no longer be valid (it's been there for awhile) though I think you can still get a $75 discount for using the Basic Brewing code on their site.

I also have been looking into this system. The review posted by aristoi is very informative. Basic Brewing podcast has a discount code for High gravity that takes another $75 off the price. That code is EBC75BB. I don't know if this code is still good or not. I have been listening to some old episodes, but I'm pretty sure they gave that code out on the annual disaster episode that was posted on 12-20-18. So it could still be good.

I just bought the 240v system and it’s still applicable. Good folks indeed!

I am so pumped, i just pulled the trigger on the 120V system and also successfully used the EBC75BB code for additional $75 off. Thought about upgrading to DSPR 320 for $50 as mentioned above, but thought to myself will i ever really feel comfortable to walk away from it while step mashing or ramping to mashout and let this automatically change temps while recirculating? Highly unlikely!

Also thought about upgrading the kettle to 16 gallon ($75 upcharge) for more mash capacity in high gravity 5 gallon and be able to do low gravity 10 gallon. That upcharge seemed a bit steep considering the cost different of 11 -16 gallon kettle and basket combo on his website is only $35. Plus I did not want my high percentage of 5 gallon batches to be less than ideal conditions take even though i was assured no problem. The 120V system may not handle the larger headspace well with ramp temp times and boil vigor. The only downside to a system with a Bayou kettle is losing the volume markings which i have grown used to using. Thought about upgrading to SS brewtech but may not be as compatable with basket and figured i would keep it simple. I will have to manage by making a volume marking stick or put a controlled ding with a flat head screwdriver at the 8 gallon fill mark and 5.5 gallon finish mark.

Overall Dave was awesome at answering all my questions over multiple emails.

I am thinking of doing a duplicate batch side by side with my Robobrew to compare ramp times, performance and overall experience before i sell it!

Last edited:
Keep us posted on your side by side test. I'd be interested in how they compared.

... And if you wanted to really hit it out of the park, you could also send us a few bottles for ..ehm.. evaluation! :)

Back