High Fermentation temp Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So some clarification is needed on my end becasue I've read a lot of different opinions based on high fermentation temps. My main question is basically after inital fermentation is done in a controlled temperature environment, 7 -15 days depending on the beer, what effects can occur afterwards when exposed to higher levels of heat. I just fermented a Dunkel which ripped away for about eleven days in a bucket of water with the wet t-shirt and fan which I'm sure most are familiarized with. However I only had one bucket to use for this water so I took the dunkel out after femrentation and put my new batch in. since then the temp has gotten as high as 85 degrees with the beer still on the yeast cake. What, if any side effects can occur.

I also have a Porter thats been in secondary for a while also exposed to these high temps, but from what I read this may only help the aging process of the beer, and so far there is no noticible changes as far as bacteria or growth. Any commments on high temp in secondary ?

My main concern is the high temps after fermentation while the beer is still on the yeast cake.

Thanks for any and all answers.

My only real concern would be yeast autolysis. The rule of thumb is that for every 10°C/18°F increase in temperature, the cells will die off twice as fast. In secondary I don't think it would be a serious problem, although I'd still try to keep it as cool as possible. From what I've heard/read, repeated temperature changes are what you really want to avoid.

Actually I think in many ales, increasing temparuture near the top of the yeast range helps the beer attenuate fully and also helps the yeast clean up fully..resulting in a "cleaner" and fuller fermentation. This is especially good for belgian beers where you are wanting to coax out extreme attenuation and fruity esters.

If fermentation is complete you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the yeasts.

However, once the temperature starts to increase you increase the risk of bacteria multiplying quickly and infecting your beer. This is especially problematic if your sanitation is not great or there is a lot of headspace in the fermenter where acetobacter can get in and turn the alcohol into vinegar.

Back