High efficiency hefes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Zacharomyces

Reaction score
Ive noticed that for some reason whenever a brew a hefe, my efficiency goes up, way up, 91% this morning as apposed to low 70s. I used 6.25Lbs white wheat and 3 Lbs of pils with some rice hulls. I was under the impression that large amounts of wheat would lead to a lower efficiency? Now Ive got to re arrange my hop bill!!!! Anyone have any ideas besides keeping more hops on hand?

magnj

Reaction score
@zscalf. My last one seemed high too.
@Conroe. I used a Hydrometer...would it lie to me?

k1v1116

Reaction score
I think malted wheat has a higher diastatic power than 2row that might have some impact too.

Malticulous

Reaction score
White wheat malt has a points per gallon of 40. I see many here calculate efficiency with a simple base value of 36 PPG. It may work out fine with some beers but brews with little more than wheat and pilsner (38 PPG) will be way off.

OP
Z

Zacharomyces

Reaction score
Looks like I'll just have to remember to up my efficiency in my brewing software, it gives white wheat a yield of 1.039, which I'm going to assume is a PPG of 39? At any rate, the beer is chugging along happily. Has anyone used Wyeast 3942 (Belgian Wheat Yeast)? I normally use WLP300 but the LHBS was all cleaned out. What the hell did I get myself into?!?!

ghpeel

Reaction score
Hey just saw this today, after a hefe brew day last night that ended up with somewhere in the low 80's efficiency, which is really high for me. I use Hopville.com to calculate my recipes, so this is very interesting.