High efficiency hefes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacharomyces

Reaction score
Ive noticed that for some reason whenever a brew a hefe, my efficiency goes up, way up, 91% this morning as apposed to low 70s. I used 6.25Lbs white wheat and 3 Lbs of pils with some rice hulls. I was under the impression that large amounts of wheat would lead to a lower efficiency? Now Ive got to re arrange my hop bill!!!! Anyone have any ideas besides keeping more hops on hand?

I think malted wheat has a higher diastatic power than 2row that might have some impact too.

White wheat malt has a points per gallon of 40. I see many here calculate efficiency with a simple base value of 36 PPG. It may work out fine with some beers but brews with little more than wheat and pilsner (38 PPG) will be way off.

Looks like I'll just have to remember to up my efficiency in my brewing software, it gives white wheat a yield of 1.039, which I'm going to assume is a PPG of 39? At any rate, the beer is chugging along happily. Has anyone used Wyeast 3942 (Belgian Wheat Yeast)? I normally use WLP300 but the LHBS was all cleaned out. What the hell did I get myself into?!?!

Hey just saw this today, after a hefe brew day last night that ended up with somewhere in the low 80's efficiency, which is really high for me. I use Hopville.com to calculate my recipes, so this is very interesting.

Latest posts

Back