High Demand/Low Supply Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand what you are saying, my point still holds true though. While yes those are great beers, there are definitely other breweries that have just as good beers but don't get as much hype. My example is wicked weeds pernicious IPA, no one really talks about it but I hold that IPA up against most others (and I've had heady). There have been many people who have done blind taste test and picked the non heady brew many times, couple on here that I have seen. My point is there may be 2 oranges picked from the same tree but one of those oranges is mass marketed as being limited, so person A will pay more for that orange just because it was marketed that way. But in the end both those oranges are great oranges. That's all I was trying to say.

I do understand that. And I wasn't trying to say that the hype train beers were the be all end all greatest beers of all time. I was only pointing out that most of these can back up the hype with actual quality.

It's fun to play into the hype and seek out those beers on occasion. But I'm also perfectly aware that there are beers of equal quality with less notoriety.

A friend sent me a 4-pack of Todd the Axeman tall boys by Surly in Minnesota. I don't remember exactly how he got them, but it sounded very complicated like Heddy's process. The thing is, we were doing a local beer trade and I knew nothing about that beer when I tried it. I randomly selected one of them from the assortment he sent me and was blown away. It was like Heddy but better AND I could pour it out of the can into a glass. I learned of its rarity after contacting him and asking how to get more of it, to which he scoffed, "good luck!"

Why don't these breweries sell more beer? If you sell out the day you release, every day, for a few years, one would think they could afford some new digs.

Oh and my .02 is that heady, HF, trillium et al really are that much better. thats what beer should be

In some cases the laws get in the way especially when it comes to distribution. In some areas if you get too big you are forced to give up all your distribution rights permanently.

I understand what you are saying, my point still holds true though. While yes those are great beers, there are definitely other breweries that have just as good beers but don't get as much hype. My example is wicked weeds pernicious IPA, no one really talks about it but I hold that IPA up against most others (and I've had heady). There have been many people who have done blind taste test and picked the non heady brew many times, couple on here that I have seen. My point is there may be 2 oranges picked from the same tree but one of those oranges is mass marketed as being limited, so person A will pay more for that orange just because it was marketed that way. But in the end both those oranges are great oranges. That's all I was trying to say.

But your original point was they were tricking the market by limiting production. This has a chicken and the egg kind of logic. HT didn't create the hype, the consumers did. So the hype started because it was hard to get out because or was good? And once popular was it their moral obligation to expand to meet the demand?

If you've seen the original brewery and surrounding area you can understand why The Alchemist hasn't expanded much. They were lucky to even survive at all having just finished the new location when the flood took out the original place.

There is a big difference IMO between hype and what you call marketing 101. The brewery controls marketing but the consumers are in charge of hype. If you want to blame someone for the hype then I'd look at BA. They are responsible for much that is wrong with the industry IMO.

Distribution does come into play, in MN "Brewpubs" Can't sell outside their premises, smaller breweries get sucked into the local distribution monopolies...

I read an article about NC that said once you exceeded a certain amount you had to sign up with a distributer. So if you had distributed your own product before that, you had to get rid of all the trucks and labor and start paying someone else. This resulted in an immediate revenue hit. The really appalling part is once you sign you lose all rights to your distribution. You cannot renegotiate and you can't protest if the distributor sells your product rights to someone else.

I've heard that TX had the same law but one brewery is going to try and take that to court. The idea that you can't even prevent your distribution rights from being sold or attempt to arrange for a new distributor seems to violate the basic contract law and free market.

Sitting around with some friends at their brewery tonight killing time. As it turns out another friend just returned from Chicago with some Zombie Dust. We were all set to be wowed and then the tasting. It was good but no different than any of the 40 or 50 readily available beers. Just goes to show - you always want what is not readily available.

Flashback to the late 70's, Coors was not available on the East Coast. A couple of friends and I got together and had tractor trailers bring us two full loads of Coors and each one was sold with a few days. Now Coors was nothing special - but was unique in New England and turned a tidy profit.

Flashback to the late 70's, Coors was not available on the East Coast. A couple of friends and I got together and had tractor trailers bring us two full loads of Coors and each one was sold with a few days. Now Coors was nothing special - but was unique in New England and turned a tidy profit.

My older brother did something similar after graduation. I think he did a drive across country from CT which was a popular thing to do back then. On the way back they loaded up on Coors. Seems like he drove non stop to try and prevent it from spoiling.

I grew up in the 70s. I had a friend in college that made a trip to Texas. He brought back a trunk full of fireworks and many, many cases of Coors. That was a hell of a party.

I took a sky rocket right to the chest. Came away unscathed. I like to think that the Coors made me invincible. :D

+1 to FFF. Sunking and FFF petitioned the state law and had it changed, but their high demand beer is still scarce (like ZD and GBH) I know they have been going through growth expansions, as there have been spurts in the past couple years where I could get ZD by the case, and times, like now, where you can only find it on tap somewhere (and that isnt even all that common). I know most times I go to Chicago, I can usually find it on tap.

Alpha King, Yum Yum, and a lot of their bombers are always available at the stores, which is nice though.

Back