High ABV IPA - Large batch requiring 4 starters??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the calculator, you have a package date of 12/30/21. I doubt that's accurate.
Yeah Im sure its not. Although there was another opinion on this thread that yeast cell counts are higher than what the package states. I dunno. but I normally calculate for a least a month old.

Good, but for future brews using these new yeast jars, Im trying to figure out if I can assume the cell count in each jar "should" be close to 100 billion.

Then the next question after you figure out if your jars each start out with 100B cells, how much will they have after 1 month? or 2 months? Estimates vary but 50% decline per month when using a simple yeast storage process is probably not too far off the mark.

Then the next question after you figure out if your jars each start out with 100B cells, how much will they have after 1 month? or 2 months? Estimates vary but 50% decline per month when using a simple yeast storage process is probably not too far off the mark.
Good to know. Just would hate to go thru this process and then attempt to make a brew with one of these jars and have my calculations be waayyy off.

If you think you have 100 b cells when transferred to mason jars,can't you date it and put that as the mfg date in a calculator? Anyway,that's what I do and I mostly get 4 hr lag times. Always a vitality starter or a direct repitch.
Thats my plan.

Back