Hi, ya'll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrighu

Reaction score
Ok, if you can't guess from that I'm from Texas....

Now, down to business :p My husband and I started brewing about 3 years ago as something for the two of us to together. It's now to the point that and I'm quoting here, "just cooking beer not brewing". My family has been making whiskey for 300 years so I know a thing or two about mashing grains.

Now, he's seen to it that I'm not included in any part of the decision process on what we brew or how it's formulated for the last year or so. I'm fairly upset about that. Then the question of a women only brewing competition came up and when I mentioned that I'd like to enter it, he started telling me what I was going to brew.

I don't like his beers. His stuff is all too hoppy and I don't really care for 5 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch. ICK!!! It's not to style and, frankly, it doesn't taste good at all. The flavors aren't balanced and well.... they kinda suck unless you like hops as much as he does.

In short, I'm tired of his macho crap and I'd like to enlist the help of the people on this board so that I can rub his nose it a bit by doing well in this competition.

TIA,

Mor.

morrighu said:
I'd like to enlist the help of the people on this board so that I can rub his nose it a bit by doing well in this competition.

TIA,

Mor.

Go for it Sister! :mug:

I think you'll find the brewers on this board will be happy to help you make a great beer to win your competition. You will also find that the female brewers here are the recipe and operations personnel at their breweries. :p

Welcome to HBT!

Welcome Aboard, Im sure you will find pleanty of help on here to blow him out of the water. I suggest checking out Biermunchers Recipes under his Avatar. He has oodles of them and you might find something you like and or can tweak to what you want.

:mug: Rich

RICLARK said:
Welcome Aboard, Im sure you will find pleanty of help on here to blow him out of the water. I suggest checking out Biermunchers Recipes under his Avatar. He has oodles of them and you might find something you like and or can tweak to what you want.

:mug: Rich
+1
and his beers are always balanced
i like his centenial blonde

morrighu said:
I don't like his beers. His stuff is all too hoppy and I don't really care for 5 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch. ICK!!! It's not to style and, frankly, it doesn't taste good at all. The flavors aren't balanced and well.... they kinda suck unless you like hops as much as he does.

I'm not a fan of the "how much hops can I tolerate" macho stuff, either. Then again, I don't even like normal hoppy beers like IPA so perhaps I am unfairly characterizing the motivations of the high-hopped folks.

I usually shoot for the low end of the hop range for any style and that usually works out well for me. And it also saves $$$ and hops resources during the current hops shortage (or "shortage", depending on whom you believe).

fratermus said:
I'm not a fan of the "how much hops can I tolerate" macho stuff, either. Then again, I don't even like normal hoppy beers like IPA so perhaps I am unfairly characterizing the motivations of the high-hopped folks.

I usually shoot for the low end of the hop range for any style and that usually works out well for me. And it also saves $$$ and hops resources during the current hops shortage (or "shortage", depending on whom you believe).

Low hops....Sounds like your in the Market for a Hefe, That is if you like hefe's.

I'm a hophead and love IPAs, but I also make a few other beers too! think the key is balance in any beer- even a good IPA has balance to it. I never thought of loving hops as "macho", though!

I started brewing with a Beermachine 2000 and made one batch before I started with extract brewing. Pretty soon I was doing partial mash, and then all-grain. It definitely is an obsession and I think the beers have markedly improved each time. I like brewing different styles, and really can appreciate them.

Welcome to HBT!

Back