Hi from Hobart, Tasmania

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockymars

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm from the southernmost part of Australia. We get left off the map of Australia every now and then...

I'm a BIAB brewer, and have the kit to do anything from 5 to 30L batches. My interest is mostly in Belgian ales, Irish stouts and ales, and just about any wheat beer. I started brewing 17 years ago (mostly extract and partial mash), then life overtook me.

It's good to be getting back into it (after a 12 year hiatus), and I'm looking forward be part of this community.

Cheers,
Rocky

Hey welcome! So cool. I have never met a Tasmanian. So what is the favorite beer in Tasmania? The everyday drink and the special drink?

Welcome!
You grow Galaxy hops there in Tasmania, the most expensive hops I know.
You must have them at dirt cheap prices! How much is 100 g at your place?

I don't really know. I've never really used Galaxy hops. Although I'm in a brewing club where they have had a Galaxy smash beer recipe, but I never tried it.

What is the favorite beer to drink for the tasmanians?

Welcome!
You grow Galaxy hops there in Tasmania, the most expensive hops I know.
You must have them at dirt cheap prices! How much is 100 g at your place?
Well if you mean locally (mass) produced beer, it's either Cascade lager or Boag's Premium lager. I prefer Boag's, I reckon it's the best mass produced lager in Australia (but I'm biased).

There are countless craft brewers around here, producing some excellent beers (but expensive!!!).

And if you mean THIS Tasmanian, I enjoy Belgian ales, Irish stout and ales, and just about any wheat beer.

Hey welcome! So cool. I have never met a Tasmanian. So what is the favorite beer in Tasmania? The everyday drink and the special drink?
Thanks Srdjan :)

In Tassie (as it's fondly known in Australia) we joke that it's easy to spot the Tasmanians, they're the ones with the two heads (from in-breeding). I'm originally from South Africa though, and have lived here for 10 years now.

I can't really speak for all 530,000 Tasmanians, but I think most drink Cascade lager (if you're from the south of the island) or Boag's Premium lager (if you're from the north). I'm in the south and drink the northern product, so I'm a bit of an outcast ;)

There are heaps of local craft beers to choose from... Hard to say, as I personally haven't tried them all. One of my favourite breweries is the Hobart Brewing Company, nice venue for gigs (live music pumping every Friday night, and they put on gigs every now and then), and bloody good ales.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back