Hi folks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNAndy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for allowing me to participate here.

I'm a homebrewer from East Tennessee. I consider myself a novice brewer, but perhaps not a complete newbie. That being said, it's been several years since I last brewed a batch. Let's just say building and moving into a new house quickly turns into a black hole that consumes all free time.

I like dark ales with lots of hops, both flavor and aroma. My wife tends to go for light commercial beers. I hope to be able to brew a beer she will like and wean her off the canned stuff.

I still have most of the equipment I need: one 3-gallon and three 5-gallon carboys; a couple hundred 16 ounce (1/2 liter?) Grolsch flip top bottles, both brown and green. It may be that my 6 gallon plastic brewing bucket may have had it--I'm not sure I'll be able to clean it sufficiently for a sanitized process. I wouldn't expect siphon tubing and airlocks to be much of an acquisition problem. The airlocks I had before were all plastic. I'd rather have a couple of glass ones if I can find them. I'm sure my old rubber stoppers are all toast.

I'm also a Certified Tennessee Extension Master Gardener. I'm looking for a suitable place in my yard to grow a few varieties of hops. I'd like to grow some barley, too, but I'm sure I don't have enough garden for a brewable crop. Malting and roasting might be more of a challenge than I'd want to tackle as well.

I'll be very interested to see where the science of homebrewing has taken the hobby since I last brewed. Back then, I was mostly using kits (cans of pre-hopped malt syrup), although I did make an all grain stout from scratch once. I never used corn sugar. Instead I always used barley malt extract for the recipe and final conditioning. Somewhere around here I've got an old CO2 tank and a 5 gallon cola dispenser. Now I'm wondering if I can use a soda stream for carbonation. I don't have one yet, but am looking forward to the experiment.

The chief reason I searched for a homebrewing forum this week is to find if anybody sells cases for 16 ounce Grolsch flip top bottles. Cardboard boxes are...not ideal. I'd rather not go to the expense of fabricating my own. I think injection molded plastic ones would be both inexpensive and utilitarian. I envision something like the crates Pepsi uses to deliver their products. All suggestions are welcome!

Welcome back to brewing. Take a look at a some cream or blonde ale recipes in the HBT Recipe Database when you get to brewing for your spouse, if you don't have the temp control to do lagers.

Brewing has probably changed a lot durring your "break". Well, the yeast are still doing the same old thing, but we brewers are always overthinking things and making it complicated in new ways!

You will be surprised to learn that a lot of people are actually TRYING to brew cloudy beer. (I'm not one of them!) Being on the east coast you are probably well aware of the hazy beer craze. It has found it's way into home brewing.

If you are going to go all grain, you should strongly consider brew in a bag (BIAB) It was probably around when you stopped brewing, but was just starting up in the US. It has become a widely accepted way to do all grain in a simpler way. It can also be a great stepping stone to a larger setup.

There are so many things that have changed, it's hard to even list them all. This forum is a great source of information. I've learned a ton from it. I'm also partial to the Brewing Network podcasts. I learned a ton from them as well, unfortunately they have sort of turned their back on homebrewing in favor of covering commercial brewing, but there is a whole back catalog from 2012-2018 that is definitely worth working your way through if you have the time. I especially like their shows Can You Brew It, Brew Strong, and Dr. Homebrew to learn about the science and technique of brewing.

Lastly, just a warning. There is a website called Brulosophy. It is a blessing and a curse. lol. If you dive into that one, keep an open mind!

Welcome back to homebrewing. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Welcome to HBT. If you're trying to catch up on the latest in home brewing, there are lots of good books. Although I haven't read it, I hear How to Brew, Edition 4 is very good. And I suggest browsing HBT whenever you get time. I often find answers to questions I didn't even know I had.

Yes, that's the ticket! Thanks!

I forgot to mention that our house is supplied by a several-hundred-foot-deep well with produces diamond-hard water. It makes keeping the coffee maker clean a challenge, but I think it's ideal for brewing.

Water chemistry is a whole topic, one that many veterans find challenging. Hard water is not necessarily good. It tends to be better for darker beers. When you are up to it you could read the book "Water". It reads like a text book, but will teach you everything you need to know.

I couldn't make it through the whole book. I use BruNWater, which is a spreadsheet by one of the members here. It is a great value for me. It does all the calculations and lowered the learning curve to a point that I found approachable.

In order to get advice and figure out what your starting point with water is, you might want to consider sending a sample off to Ward labs to get a water report on it.

There is also a good thread on here called a Brewing Water Chemistry Primer. It assumes you are starting with soft water, but might be helpful to you.

I just looked, and shipping is nearly $40 for seven crates. Yowza!

If the inside dimensions of regular milk crates are 12" x 12", I'll probably just get several of those. Most of the Grolsch bottles I have are 3" in diameter (pint). For some reason, I've also got some 15.2 ounce bottles. They, too say Grolsch. It's hard to imagine that they would go to the trouble of changing the bottle to save .8 oz of beer. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back