Herms hlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
Does the HLT in a HERMS system require that the water be stirred or whirlpooled or whatever to keep the heat transfer going? I've seen systems that have a motorized stirrer but I'm wondering if that's just to increase efficiency or if it is needed.

Yes, the water should be stirred or agitated or recirculated, in order to have the temperature equalized in the HLT.

Has it ever been determined that stirring the HLT when it has a HERMS coil NEEDED, or is that just a nice to have?

I wonder what the actual temperature range in an electrically heated HLT is?

So if I have 2 pumps on my system, one can recirculate the wort between the MT and HLT and the other is circulating water in the HLT?

Has it ever been determined that stirring the HLT when it has a HERMS coil NEEDED, or is that just a nice to have?

I wonder what the actual temperature range in an electrically heated HLT is?

If I don't turn on my stirrer, the water near the element is hot, while the water near the top isn't even beyond warm. I never measured the temperature gradient, but I think it's significant just from me sticking my finger into the HLT and wondering why it's not hot when the PID says "156"! Then realize the stirrer isn't on- oh. Duh.

It doesn't need to be stirred, though. As long as there is some movement, like recirculation, stirring, or some other sort of agitation it would be fine.

Everybody's system is different I guess but I only need to stir a little
while getting the HLT up to temp. After that no stirring. The sensor is
on the exit of the coil and will fire the element when needed. Ive tried
recirculating the HLT while mashing and it makes no difference at all.

Back