Here's something never seen before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peam

Reaction score
So this was a little odd today...

Brewed a milk stout today (all grain) and brewed this same recipe I made before and even with the same grains, but for some reason I never got a foamy head? It initially foamed up immediately upon boil but after lowering the power to the element to prevent boil over, I never really got any foam again. I didn't think too much of it since it tends to subside anyway, but when I hit it will oxygen in the carboy, the same darn thing never happened. Now I've come to terms with the fact that I won't get much head on this beer once it's ready, but what caused this? Same grains, recipe, and method as the last time I made it with the exception of using pale chocolate since I'm out of regular chocolate malt. I'm absolutely dumbfounded by this

Do you use dish soap to clean the boil kettle/mashtun? This is a common side effect of not getting the equipment 100% rinsed after using cleaners like dish soap.

Cope, PBW. I had a couple gallons of water sitting in there covering my element that I forgot to drain when I was trouble shooting a control panel issue, but that clearly shouldn't be the issue

What is cope? Hopefully the head retention will turn out fine, I normally don't have much foam in my boils. I wonder if it could have something to do with the lactose?

Sorry that was a typo on my phone. Nope is what I meant.
Well I had originally thought the lactose but that wasn't added until the last 10 minutes. I guess I'll have to wait and see then report back in a couple of weeks

I don't know everything, but, I have had a couple of batches that when I brewed them didn't produce any foam during the boil but had plenty of head after fermentation/conditioning...I don't think no hot break foam during boil=no head in finished beer..

Just curious if you changed your base malt? I know that if I use Marris Otter I get very little hot break in comparison to an American 2 row.

I have noticed that the strength of the boil has a lot to do with the severity of the hot break. My stove top gives a moderate boil at best and hot break is for a couple of minutes and of minimal ferocity. My burner gives a vigorous boil and hot break goes on for ten or fifteen minutes no matter what, and it will always boil over at some point.

I haven't noticed any oddities in the finished beer regardless of what I boiled with though.

It was marris otter as a base, and come to think of it, I did dip into a fresh new bag.

The boil was very vigorous but I certainly know of what you're saying

I had a little look inside my fermentation fridge and it had a nice layer of krausen and foam so maybe I'll get some head retention after all... Not that it's an indicating factor but at least gives hope.

Well it turns out the beer has excellent head retention. Not what I expected but a pleasant surprise nonetheless

^^ What I said earlier in the thread..;) I have had one batch that foamed like crazy at 'hot break' going into boil that had very little head with zero retention..I think that was like my 3rd or 4th batch I ever did..Tasted great and had plenty of carbonation, just no foamy goodness on top..

It was just odd to have zero foam at all when I hit it with oxygen and I even cranked it up high. I was worried that might continue on down the line.

Latest posts

Back