Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
I brewed BM's Centennial Blonde Tuesday night and let it Ferment in my basement and today I went to see it and saw it was fermenting at 76 degrees!!!! I put a fan on it to try to cool it down. Is it ruined. That's 4 degrees over the temp range wyeast suggests. I was looking for a crisp beer and thought my basement was alot cooler. D': what should I do?!

RDWHAHB. Worst case scenario, you develop some esters. Check one of Revvy's threads about letting a too-hot batch sit for a while and letting esters dissipate here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

There's really only a couple days when things can get really f**ked from warm temperatures. It's generally in the first couple of days when fermemtation is really, really active. After that, a little bit of heat can actually help the yeast clean up after themslelves. Give it a sniff (a wafted sniff!). Does it smell like bananas, cloves, or bubblegum?

If it's too warm during active ferment, look up "swamp cooler" here. Cheers!

Agreed; relax and let it ride. My last batch of the blonde fermented around 78F from start to finish due to ambient temps out here. It may take a bit longer to clean up, but it'll be fine.

I went and smelled it and I did not have that smell. I am one to panic and over react but that thread gave me encouragement :) The fan should cool it down a little bit.

After my krausen falls and fermentation dies down I always let my beers warm up just because its a pain in the ass to rotate water bottles for 2-3 weeks straight

Back