help with using gas cutting torch for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron4osu

Reaction score
anyone ever use a gas cutting torch to cut the top off a keg? I have a "Torch Kit Tote
Amazon.com: SEPTLS33112PT - Tote-A-Torch Outfits: Home Improvement
I've only used it for simple braising projects, and don't have much experience with the cutter. other than maybe blowing holes in stuff to test it out. I've seen videos on youtube using a plasma cutter. do you think a gas cutter will be as efficient? Any advice on how to make a perfect circle with torch?
Thanks, Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest you don't.

A gas cutting torch (not plasma cutter) will over heat the SS and drive off the chromium rendering the cut area 'not SS'. You could probably repassivate it, but with the amount of penetration the heat will cause it could be problems.

Second you'll end up with a lot of slag in the keg itself that'll melt itself to the keg walls, further annoying you later.

If that weren't reason enough.... You'll spend about a week trying to grind a flame-cut edge into anything other than a meat grinder of an edge.

That's just my .02 and I've only done a little flame cutting, so take my opinion with a grain of salt on this one.

Do not try to cut the keg with a gas torch, the nickel and chrome in the stainless will create such a mess when you try to cut that you would spend hours trying to grind off the residue. The plasma cutters work well because the cutting area is so small and heat conductivity of the stainless is so low that only about 1/4" is affected when the metal is melted and blown out of the cut area.

I agree with the others. But will say if you do decide to cut a keggle, however you decide to cut. The way to stop most of the slag problem is to put water in the keg before you start cutting. This helps however you cut the top off.

I use a grind stone designed for "Inside" grinding. Shaped like a cone. Does a nice job and easy to control.

I've never tried to use a torch to cut stainless, but that sounds like it could turn into a mess...

If you want to pay for the shipping, I'll ship you a top I cut out so you can practice on it before you attempt it on a good keg...

A cutting torch is more suited to demolition and ruogh cutting of ferrous metals. A cheap 4" grinder would be easier and yield better results.

Honestly I don't know why anyone tries to do anything more than use a grinder.

I followed Bobby's video and it took about 15 minutes to build the jig and no more than 10 minutes to cut the lid.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthGdMk_avk]YouTube - Keg to Brew Kettle Conversion[/ame]

Don't use the gas axe. An offset grinder will do a much better job and probably faster too.

Grinder took 10 minutes on mine and looks great. Didn't need a jig, the handle up against the rim made a perfect 12" hole. A cheap black and decker will do the job for $30. Or a pawn shop for a grinder.

Luckily I had access to a Fabrication shop where they have a plasma torch cutting table. Quickest perfect circle and when the keg is partially filled with water the cleanup is not too intensive.

I cut the top off of my keg with a hand held offset grinder. It's easy to follow a marked line if you take your time. Any minor imperfections are easily cleaned up with the same grinder using the thicker metal grinding discs. Mere child's play if you are reasonably adept with power tools.

Can't find the exact blade online, but I used a carbide grit blade on a reciprocating saw after drilling into it with a metal stepper bit and freehanded a pretty great circle. I would like it to be a bigger hole though, might have to go over it again. Had the saw, drill and bit already and the blade was only $8. Process for 2 kegs took about 2 hours including a bit of dremel (useless, I don't have the right bits) and file work on the slightly jagged edges. I took a lot of breaks to keep everything cool and my hands from being vibrated off of my wrists.

Anyone else surprised at how soft SS is?

Thanks Guys. I'll go the grinder route. I had been dying for a reason to use the cutting torch for something, but if it's not the right tool for the project... What about braising a bulkhead? Would I have the same problem driving off the chromium, evan at braising heat level?

If you have a oo tip and use 55% silver brazing alloy with "Stay Silv" flux you should be okay, brass alloy might be too hot for the stainless and you will sugar the surface before the brass alloy could melt.

Honestly I don't know why anyone tries to do anything more than use a grinder.

I followed Bobby's video and it took about 15 minutes to build the jig and no more than 10 minutes to cut the lid.

YouTube - Keg to Brew Kettle Conversion

Aside from that the grinder is one of the most usefule tools ever. You WILL find that you will use it over and over again. PLEAS go buy a decent 4 1/2" grinder.

Make the jig and cut the kegs the safe and good way. I too have a port-a-torch outfit and would NEVER use it.

My keg cut

I used a harbor freight air powered cut off wheel. the tool was 7.99, and it i basically built to cut keg tops off. the gaurd serves as a makeshift jig, just run it around teh top... perfect circle

If you have the access to or the opportunity to use one, your number one choice should be a lathe. A friend in my HB club has one at his work, and the cut took moments to make, is perfectly round with no coloring. No sanding whatsoever was needed and the cut could be made with a wide radius, waay out to the edge.

I have access to a high-pressure acetylene cutting torch where I work, but my buddy with the lathe warned me against using that.

I cut the top off of my keg with a hand held offset grinder. It's easy to follow a marked line if you take your time. Any minor imperfections are easily cleaned up with the same grinder using the thicker metal grinding discs. Mere child's play if you are reasonably adept with power tools.

I had the same results. I marked the hole with a lid I wanted to be able to put on it. Spent 5 minutes with a grinder and cutting wheel to take the top off, and 5 minutes with a grinding wheel to smooth out the edge, and grind off a couple spots to make sure the lid fit perfectly.

The rim worked as a guide to help me keep the cutting blade steady as I made my cut.

Back