My first Keggle, what do you think? Plasma cut with a twist.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilohertz

Reaction score
Finally got my old plasma machine into the new shop, and today was the first time I have really used it, came up with a cool way to cut mostly evenly, I don't know if this is good or not, I will have to look at your projects to see how I did. I used an old nut that just fit on the torch head, it kept the torch head at the correct distance from the material to keep a good arc going, and kept the torch at an even distance from the edge of the keg.

I still want to put some protective edge around the inside hole, still thinking about what to use.

I have 2 more to do, is this a good cut or should I revise my method to make a neater cut. Torch cutting took 1 minute, grinding about 5 minutes, setup, about a half hour. :rock:

Cheers

IMG_7095.JPG
IMG_7097.JPG
IMG_7099.JPG
IMG_7101.JPG

Looks pretty good to me. Make sure you take a flap disc or some sandpaper and smooth that lip really well. Your wrists and forearms will thank you. No need for any additional protective edge if you smooth things out well.

Thanks guys,

Yes, flapped clean and smooth, pretty nice edge now....and yes keg 2 and 3 I half filled with water, although the slag didn't stick in the first one and the smoke residue came off with a little scrub with a scotchbrite pad and BKF.

HERMS coil arrived yesterday, most of the stainless fittings are here, PIDs and timer, pretty much ready to start building the mechanical side of things now, electrical will follow.

Cheers!

Thanks guys,

Yes, flapped clean and smooth, pretty nice edge now....and yes keg 2 and 3 I half filled with water, although the slag didn't stick in the first one and the smoke residue came off with a little scrub with a scotchbrite pad and BKF.

HERMS coil arrived yesterday, most of the stainless fittings are here, PIDs and timer, pretty much ready to start building the mechanical side of things now, electrical will follow.

Cheers!
You're gonna love the Eherms I think. I converted about a year ago and it's been great.

Well I am jumping in with both feet, with this setup, it will be my first brew...however I may try brewing something more simple while I am building this. Been reading for years, growing hops for years...need to get off my butt and just DO IT.

Cheers

Back