Help with specialty malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pajdorix

Reaction score
I need help to "reproducing" some of the specialty malts...
I LOVE leffe blond, and I found this_recipe for it...

I can have my hops and yeasts delivered, but malts would be too expensive (no one sells it in my country). The only thing I can buy here is some Belgian pale malt.

So I need to make:
Honey malt
Biscuit malt
Aromatic malt
Munich malt

I found a "how-to" for Munich and Biscuit, but I spent hours googleing for aromatic and honey malt and all I'm getting is the sites that sell them...

I just need advice from someone experienced in this filed to tell me is it possible to make your own honey malt or aromatic malt "clone" simply by roasting pale malt? Because I'm not sure that's possible without making your own malts from barley and controlling germination conditions... And that's the only thing I'd like to avoid.
If so, how? or where to look for more info?

I'm also under the impression some of these malts are almost interchangeable and very similar. I just don't have ANY experience with it..

TIA,

cheers!

You can't convert a pale malt into aromatic or honey malt. They both require higher drying and higher kiln temperatures for curing and you stop the drying process much earlier.

that's what I thought... but is there a way to get something similar by roasting pale malt?

EDIT - well I just found out it's not Pale Ale malt, but Pilsner...

Latest posts

Back