Help with my first recipe attempt APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorHB

Reaction score
I just tasted my first attempt at constructing my own pale ale recipe. Bitterness is spot on however the aroma is really sweet and fruity. Almost like bubble gum or fruity pebbles. Any ideas where this is coming from? I fermented around 65 degF so I don't think its esters. Although I did use washed yeast and a starter so I could have over estimated cell count and under pitched. Could the 0.5 oz of centennial at whirlpool give this aroma? Too much C40? Any input would be greatly appreciate.

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 90.9 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.1 %

0.70 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - First Wort 75.0 m Hop 3 30.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 5.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 9.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 8 -

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 14.55 qt of water at 163.0 F 152.0 F 60 min

If its definitely like a fruity pebbles kinda flavor and NOT grapefruit/citrus I would doubt its from the hops. There arent many grains that can give any fruit flavors. Even the ones that can, its always more raisiny. Most likely a yeast ester, I cant think of any other cause. Weird though, Ive never heard of weird off flavors from 1056 like I have from US-05 at cooler temps

To me, centennial is very floral and citrusy. I didnt see you describe any floral character.\
What was the washed yeast from? I usually harvest from starters to prevent flavors from an earlier batch possibly making it into my new one

If its definitely like a fruity pebbles kinda flavor and NOT grapefruit/citrus I would doubt its from the hops. There arent many grains that can give any fruit flavors. Even the ones that can, its always more raisiny. Most likely a yeast ester, I cant think of any other cause. Weird though, Ive never heard of weird off flavors from 1056 like I have from US-05 at cooler temps

To me, centennial is very floral and citrusy. I didnt see you describe any floral character.\
What was the washed yeast from? I usually harvest from starters to prevent flavors from an earlier batch possibly making it into my new one
Definitely not grapefruit/citrus which is what I expected. Fermented at 65dF. Pitched the yeast when it was even colder and let it come up to 65. I will admit that I forgot to oxygenate when I pitched and then did so close to 24 hours later. At that time the wort was still well below 60 and there was hardly a sign of fermentation so I felt it was safe. Once I got the temp up to 65, fermentation was vigorous and in my newb opinion, normal. No estery smells from airlock (been there).

Definitely not grapefruit/citrus which is what I expected. Fermented at 65dF. Pitched the yeast when it was even colder and let it come up to 65. I will admit that I forgot to oxygenate when I pitched and then did so close to 24 hours later. At that time the wort was still well below 60 and there was hardly a sign of fermentation so I felt it was safe. Once I got the temp up to 65, fermentation was vigorous and in my newb opinion, normal. No estery smells from airlock (been there).
And I harvested the yeast from an india red ale. Shouldn't be an issue there.

maybe the lack of oxygen at the start stressed the yeast? Im not sure if youd be able to detect it that early in the fermentation

maybe the lack of oxygen at the start stressed the yeast? Im not sure if youd be able to detect it that early in the fermentation
Could be that. Or maybe my nose is way off and the aroma is floral instead of sweet fruit. With equal parts cascade and centennial at flame-out, would the centennial over power the cascade?

I wouldnt think so, assuming they were both fresh. The hop flavor should be like all grapefruit with a bit of floral finish. Hopefully someone else has an idea

Centennial Hops to me start smelling Lemony and definitely finish with a fruity pebbles fruity spiciness to them. I get that smell since someone mentioned it to me but not everyone picks it up.

Centennial Hops to me start smelling Lemony and definitely finish with a fruity pebbles fruity spiciness to them. I get that smell since someone mentioned it to me but not everyone picks it up.
Can't say I remember any lemony aroma.

To my taste, some of the Deschutes beers sometimes have a "fruit cocktail" note, but they use something similar to 1187, I think.

I made a "banana beer" once, an IPA made with 1098, which got too warm. It was a defect, but it was all drunk anyway. Another time, a pineapple "Vienna" , using a dry lager yeast fermenting warm.

I don't see anything wrong with the recipe or process. Did you measure OG & FG? Higher gravity beers can get a bit estery sometimes. Also, if I forgot to aerate, I think I would just leave it be. I think I read in White/Zainasheff's "Yeast" book that you shouldn't aerate after 12 hrs.

I've also read that 1056 can be "citrusy" at low temp's (<64, I think?).

I think its probably the Centennial. I recently made a single hop Centennial pale that had incredible fruity pebbles/ skittles aroma and flavor. It faded back a bit after a week in the keg, but i loved the candy fruit thing. Hop characteristics can change from season to season and grower to grower, so maybe we both got hops from the same lot... if it tastes good, theres nothing to worry about!

To my taste, some of the Deschutes beers sometimes have a "fruit cocktail" note, but they use something similar to 1187, I think.

I made a "banana beer" once, an IPA made with 1098, which got too warm. It was a defect, but it was all drunk anyway. Another time, a pineapple "Vienna" , using a dry lager yeast fermenting warm.

I don't see anything wrong with the recipe or process. Did you measure OG & FG? Higher gravity beers can get a bit estery sometimes. Also, if I forgot to aerate, I think I would just leave it be. I think I read in White/Zainasheff's "Yeast" book that you shouldn't aerate after 12 hrs.

I've also read that 1056 can be "citrusy" at low temp's (<64, I think?).
The OG was 1.060 and final FG was 1.012.

I did read about the 12 hr rule of thumb however I aerated anyway because the temp was still cold enough that I believe the yeast was still dormant.

I think its probably the Centennial. I recently made a single hop Centennial pale that had incredible fruity pebbles/ skittles aroma and flavor. It faded back a bit after a week in the keg, but i loved the candy fruit thing. Hop characteristics can change from season to season and grower to grower, so maybe we both got hops from the same lot... if it tastes good, theres nothing to worry about!
Thanks for the input. I'm kind of leaning towards the centennial being the culprit as well. Skittles is another good comparison so I think you were in the same boat. Got my hops from yakima valley hops. 2014 harvest. Pellet.

I really like the taste and aroma, just not was I was aiming for. Wanted more of a citrus hop aroma. It will most certainly be consumed though.

How are you measuring temperature?
With a temperature strip on my 8 gal speidel fermenter. Not ideal but it should keep me in the ball park. I typically try to keep it constantly reading 64 because I realize that inside will be a degree or two warmer.

With a temperature strip on my 8 gal speidel fermenter. Not ideal but it should keep me in the ball park. I typically try to keep it constantly reading 64 because I realize that inside will be a degree or two warmer.

Sounds alright to me, though I would consider checking the accuracy of the strip. Maybe take a temp reading of the actual beer at high krausen some time and compare.

While yes, some hops can have fruity notes to them, I've always experienced it as an undertone, far from the dominant flavor. A dominant fruit flavor makes me think it's too warm or under pitched.

Latest posts

Back