help with IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
Here's the recipe.
9# pale ale malt
1# victory
1# Vienna
.5# carapils
.25# c20
.25# c60
.25# soft white wheat

.5 oz warrior fwh
1oz cascade @ 30
.5 oz centinnial @ 15
.5oz cascade @ 15
.5 oz cascade @ 5
.5 oz centennial @ flame out
.5 oz summit @ flameout
Dryhop
.5 oz Amarillo
.5 oz cascade

Single infusion mash @ 152 for 90 min
1.25 qts/lb strike water
Fly sparge to collect 7 gallons
90 min boil
Chill to 65 with ic
Pitch 6 oz slurry us-05 from previous batch
Ferment @ 62-64 for 21 days. Dryhop on day 14 for 1 week. Cold crash @ 42 for 3 days. Then rack to keg and force carb @ 15 psi for 2 weeks.

All went well. Tastes good but its a bit thin. Any ideas on adding some body? More carapils?

What was your OG & FG?

Right off the bat I'd say to just up your Mash temp. Something around 156-158, and see if that gives you the result you want.

Also, how's your water? With that grain bill you should have plenty of body and a good malt backbone.

Og 1.060 fg 1.011. I've never checked water. It's malty just a bit thin.Q

The IPAs i've made have been kind of thin too, but my IIPA wasn't - the iipa was 8.5%.

I consider ipa's a summeresque kind of beer. Citrus with a thinner body, and easy drinking . My IIPA was a monster and was quite thick an juicy.

I have used wlp007 yeast. It's great for IPA's, as it attenuates less than and American yeast but but quite a bit more than a English strain. If I had to pick a 'house' yeast, it would be wlp007. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Might be worth checking into. The Brew Science forum has a great Water Primer thread that will get you going. I've been toying with my water for the last few months and I can tell a big difference in the body of my beers.

I suggest this because I think your recipe looks pretty solid, and your numbers are pretty good. If you can, get your water tested or try to find your water suppliers report online.

The IPAs i've made have been kind of thin too, but my IIPA wasn't - the iipa was 8.5%.

I consider ipa's a summeresque kind of beer. Citrus with a thinner body, and easy drinking . My IIPA was a monster and was quite thick an juicy.

I have used wlp007 yeast. It's great for IPA's, as it attenuates less than and American yeast but but quite a bit more than a English strain. If I had to pick a 'house' yeast, it would be wlp007. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

The yeast might just do it. But I am going to look at the water too. Thanks for the help..

sub out a # of 2-row for Munich. But I agree that all your numbers and ingredients seem to suggest you would not have a thin beer. I would double check the accuracy of your thermometer for your mash temp. I find it hard to believe 152 is producing a beer of that size that seems thin. Yeast isn't your problem. Definitely check your water. I've never had any problems with my water, so it's nothing I've ever investigated.

Good luck.

Back