help with hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedbass

Reaction score
heres what i got 6.6 pounds amber l.m.e. [unhopped] will steep 1 pound crystal 60. i need help with hop addition, how much and where, with my current stock. i no this is a personal taste issue, but can u guys set me somewhere in the middle, not ipa bitter, and not all malt taste. current stock=all pellets, amarillo 1 oz, centennial 1 oz, northdown 1 oz, willamette 1 oz, challenger 2 oz, perle 1 oz. any help please. thanks in advance.

There are a bunch of brew calculators you can find online. Build your recipe and see what you can do for mild IBU's.

Real neutral beer you could go with the Amarillo for bitterness..... .75 @ 60 and then I would drop .5 Willamette @ 10

Looks like this will be an amber/red, 1.050 OG range.

You can bitter with the Amarillo (normally 8-9%AA) or Centennial (9-11%AA).

Not sure what middle of the road bitterness would be for you, but I'm guessing somewhere around 30IBU would be balanced based upon the hop/gravity chart floating around.

You'd probably do .5oz of Centennial or .66oz of Amarillo to get near there. With Williamette and/or Perle from 20, 10, or 15 minutes in for some flavor aroma and to get the rest of the way toward 30IBU.

Using a calculator or some brewing software would be your best bet. I used Beersmith, but you need to pay for it.

Also, note hop amounts will be dependent upon boil size. My recommendations were for a full 5.75-6g boil. So, if you are doing only partial boil with your extract batches you need to up the hops amount for utilization. Or do late extract additions...

cubbies said:
Do you know what type of yeast you plan to use?

safale _o5 also i will boil 2 gal. and add to 3 gal. i was thinkin about somewhere around the 35 range. would that be enough
for all the malt? would 1 oz of perle 60 min. willamette .5 at 15 min. willamette .25 at 5 min. will that get me in the the ballpark?

Back