Help with DME vs LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trav5

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 6 lbs of DME. I'm using LME though. It comes in 3.3 lb containers so I'll have 6.6 lbs. But if it takes 20% more LME than DME I'll need 7.2lbs of LME. How can I make up the difference between the 6.6 and 7.2 lbs? I can't just buy .6 lbs of LME.

Classic problem with Liquid Malt Extract.

Either buy 3.3 more lbs and waste 2.7 lbs of it, or just use 6.6 lbs.

If you really wanted to get the best of both worlds, make up the difference with dry extract. DME lasts for a long time if properly stored.

In the future I recommend not using LME as a general rule. It is difficult to work with, doesn't keep very well, and tends to add more caramelized flavors than expected. Not to mention that the moisture in the LME actually works to degrade the product during storage anyway.

Classic problem with Liquid Malt Extract.

Either buy 3.3 more lbs and waste 2.7 lbs of it, or just use 6.6 lbs.

If you really wanted to get the best of both worlds, make up the difference with dry extract. DME lasts for a long time if properly stored.

In the future I recommend not using LME as a general rule. It is difficult to work with, doesn't keep very well, and tends to add more caramelized flavors than expected. Not to mention that the moisture in the LME actually works to degrade the product during storage anyway.

Thanks. I just found some DME online that is the same price as LME. I was only going to use LME because it's cheaper than what my local supply store sells DME for. I think I'm just going to order my ingredients online and use DME after all. Thanks for the advice though.

Back