Help with Clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticnapalm

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon batch thats been fer. for a year, and its clear. But i wanted it to be sweeter so i added honey during the bottling process and now its back to cloudy. Is there anyway to clear the mead after i bottled or will it clear after time? Any comments welcome, thanks.

Yes it will clear with time but you will get a silky sediment that is easily stirred up at the bottom of the bottle. If using screw caps you can siphon off clear liquid into new bottles but for anything else will be too much of a pain. So either shake well before serving or chill it real cool and slowly poor your drinks to try and not disturb the sediment.

I have a 5 gallon batch thats been fer. for a year, and its clear. But i wanted it to be sweeter so i added honey during the bottling process and now its back to cloudy. Is there anyway to clear the mead after i bottled or will it clear after time? Any comments welcome, thanks.

Like Arpolis said, it will clear given enough time.

How much honey did you add though? My biggest concern would be bottle-bombs.

Yeah I get you on that I have slants that are over a year old but I figured with only honey and already 10ish % alcohol would be tough to get going

Back