Help with auber PID and Honeywell valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchmidtyBeer

Reaction score
I am finishing up the wiring for a Brutus type system, but am having problems getting the PIDs to fire the burners. I have two Auber syl-2362 PIDs hooked up to two honeywell vr8200 valves. Everything is controlled by a three way selector switch (hand/off/auto). The burners work great with the hand selection, but not at all through the PID. I have the valves wired through the J2 output (13 and 14) going to a 24v bridge, then out to the burners. Do the PIDs send out 24v, or do I need to supply that power through the transformer? does this all sound like a wiring issue or a programming issue?

Sorry for my electrical ignorance!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Chris

Definitely a wiring issue. Think of your pid as a simple switch. You should have the 24v leg of your transformer run to pin 13 and it should come out on pin 14. Pin 14 should be connected to one pin on the valve. As the pid operates, it opens and closes allowing the 24v from the transformer to pass to the valve. Post your wiring schematic if you have any trouble following what I wrote, and we can go from there.

Actually let me rephrase that. 24 volts should run directly to your manual automatic off switch. The manual side of the switch runs directly to the valve. The automatic side of the switch runs to pin 13, and pin 14 runs to the valve.

Glad you posted this, I had the same question.

Lewdog, are you saying that the pid is switching the neutral leg of the 24v circuit? Anyway you could post a schematic?

Edit: the auber manual shows pins 7 and 8 switching the gas valve :confused:

wncbrewer, i am using an auber syl-2362 pid and a honeywell valve with a rtd style temp probe. Your pid model design could be different, so please refer to your pid manual. I am switching the hot 24vac leg of my transformer. I am using the J2 outputs on my PID to switch the 24vac on and off during automatic control. I am currently @ work and had to manually draw out a quick schematic of my wiring. I AM NOT A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN, please take my design with a grain of salt;) Your transformer may be designed differently. OK, disclaimer over on with the schematic.
Honeywell%20PID%20Schematic.jpg

I like this set up, are you using a thermocouple with the pilot to shut off the valve if the pilot blows out?

lewdog50 said:
wncbrewer, i am using an auber syl-2362 pid and a honeywell valve with a rtd style temp probe. Your pid model design could be different, so please refer to your pid manual. I am switching the hot 24vac leg of my transformer. I am using the J2 outputs on my PID to switch the 24vac on and off during automatic control. I am currently @ work and had to manually draw out a quick schematic of my wiring. I AM NOT A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN, please take my design with a grain of salt;) Your transformer may be designed differently. OK, disclaimer over on with the schematic.

Thanks, this makes things a lot more clear. I am using the 2432 pid, which explains that/little piece of confusion.

Yes, I am using a standing pilot light with thermocouple. I liked the auto pilot, but found the parts expensive and I have yet to have an issue with my pilot light going out. If its that windy out to blow out my pilot, my burners will already be having a hell of a time to stay lit anyway.

brewstand.jpg

pilottop.jpg

pilotbottom.jpg

How deep are the screws you tapped into the bottom of the burner? I really like the mount job, but don't want to trash my burners

I drilled and tapped all the way into the cavity of the burner. Just use thread sealing compound (gas type)on the screws when you attach the pilot.

Not to hijack your thread but what psi are you using coming out of the propane tank and does it matter since it goes through the (in my case Marshall two stage) regulator anyway?

I am using a low pressure propane regulator as the honeywell valve cannot handle high pressure. I am not sure of the actual psi. But I am pretty sure its only about 1 psi

I am using a low pressure propane regulator as the honeywell valve cannot handle high pressure. I am not sure of the actual psi. But I am pretty sure its only about 1 psi

Closer to .5 psi or 11 inches water column.

I've been having a similar issue. currently I'm at work and have been searching far and wide for someone with the same issue. However, my burners don't light at all. No gas comes through the valves. I'm going to recheck my wiring with how you described it should be. Each valve is receiving 22 volts however. FYI the pilots work fine, but I know the pilots are a seperate line from the main inlet/outlet.

nevermind, problem solved. Someone reminded me that the valves are .5 psi Wiring on my end was mucho perfecto.

Back