Help with Amber recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeGeeBrew

Reaction score
So I've made 3 batches now, and my first batch was the extract kit that came with my Northern Brewer starter kit. I decided to dry hop it for 2 days with 1 oz of Cascade, and now that they have been in the bottles about 4 weeks I think they are delicious. I got so burnt out on IPA's and other hoppy beers this is just a refreshing change, and I'd like to brew it again...or something similar.

My last two brews were all grain, and I was looking for an all grain version of this extract recipe, but I can't find it anywhere. Could anyone help out with suggestions? the extract recipe I did is this:

STEEPING GRAINS
0.5 lb caramel malt 80L
0.125 Special B
0.125 roasted barely

6lbs goid malt syrup

1oz willamette @ 60 min
Muntons ale yeast

I feel like this time around I could make this taste much better by going all grain, controlling my fermentation temp better, and using S-05

You can just substitute 8 lbs of 2 Row base malt for the LME and keep the other fermentables the same.

Oh it's that simple? Now I feel dumb. I figured the steeping grain amounts were reduced because it was an extract recipe.

Oh it's that simple? Now I feel dumb. I figured the steeping grain amounts were reduced because it was an extract recipe.

Not a dumb question. :mug: Sometimes there might be a reduction, but the specialty malts are pretty low in this case anyway. Extract can include a little carapils, and you might add some here too (say 5%) but its probably not needed.

Not a dumb question. :mug: Sometimes there might be a reduction, but the specialty malts are pretty low in this case anyway. Extract can include a little carapils, and you might add some here too (say 5%) but its probably not needed.

From Northern Brewer:
Maillard Malts® Gold Malt Extract Syrup is made from pale malt with a small amount of CaraPils, which results in a very light color and excellent head retention capabilities.

Briess CBW Golden Light Pure Malt Extract:
99% Base Malt
1% Carapils® Malt

As @rhys333 said, I would add 4-5% Carapils or Carafoam (6 oz) to compensate for the LME's extra mouthfeel and unfermentables.

From Northern Brewer:
Maillard Malts® Gold Malt Extract Syrup is made from pale malt with a small amount of CaraPils, which results in a very light color and excellent head retention capabilities.

Briess CBW Golden Light Pure Malt Extract:
99% Base Malt
1% Carapils® Malt

As @rhys333 said, I would add 4-5% Carapils or Carafoam (6 oz) to compensate for the LME's extra mouthfeel and unfermentables.

Awesome, thanks for the input.

Back