help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benl560

Reaction score
i got a recipe for a weiznbier from lhbs and it just seems kinda boring and stale.
i was wondering if anyone could help me kick it up a bit. all i have is 2-3.3# cans of wheat lme and 1.5oz french strisselspalt split at 60 and 5. i would like to try a patial mash and ill be ordering some stuff from midwest soon, but id like to use the hops and at least a can of lme. also what yeast would you suggest as the kit included nottingham.
thanks

You could also try just adding some steeping grains. Maybe .5 lbs of flakes wheat and .5 lbs of Caramel 10L. It will still probably be a tasty brew as long as your procedure is good.

.5 lbs of flaked wheat won't get you much unless you do a partial mash instead of steeping. To do a partial mash you need some grain with enzymes like 2 row or pilsner malt. Otherwise, all you are adding to your beer is starches but not the sugars you want for fermentation. The crystal handles steeping just fine, though.

You could try a liquid yeast, say Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen yeast or White Labs 380 Hefeweizen IV. There are many more to choose from too.

If you want to use dry you could try Safbrew WB-06 or Danstar Munich - German Wheat Beer Yeast. I have not used the dry yeast but I'm sure somebody who has can give some feedback.

I'm sure any of these yeast will produce a better weizen beer than Nottingham.

Back