Help...Witbier gone BITTER... :mad:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpjardim

Reaction score
This is my second beer I have ever done.
First was a extract Tripel done in 1/10. Relatively pleased with it but having trouble waiting the appropiate 3-6 mns before consuming.
Anyways, I figured I should probably brew a extract witbier for the summer and all and this one looked good.
http://beerrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/06/belgain-witbier.html

So I tried it...
Tasted it before the secondary fermenter....tastes good.....but uhhh...at the end is the bitterness of an IPA...not what I wanted...and with any aroma (as expected)...
Recipe
4 lbs. DWME,1 lb. extra light DME, 1 lb.unmalted wheat, 0.5 lb. oats, 0.5 lb.Belgian Pilsner malt
9 AAU Hallertauer hops (boiling)
8.5 AAU Hersbrucker hops (2 oz./57 g of 4.25% alpha acids) (boiling) I used ~2oz of 3.8AA Saaz that i had.

0.5 oz. sweet orange and ground coriander I used 1 tsp toasted ground as I did not have crushed.
WLP400 yeast
Left the hops in as it said in recipe "Pellet hops need not be placed in bags, as they will not be strained out later."
?Should I have not left the hops in like he said? ?Bitter from the ground spice? (tastes like hops)? ?Could I brew another 5gal of the same with aroma hops only and combine? Could I add dry aroma hops now to make some sort of Wheat IPA(i do like IPAs)?
Help...would never want to waste beer...now that would be ashame...

if you left the coriander in too long it can add a bit more bitterness, how long did you boil the orange peels and coriander? Other than that, it may just need to age a bit longer.

I brewed a witbier that turned out funky so this thread interested me.

I brewed AHS blue moon clone. I brewed it twice. The first time I brewed it it turned out awesome so I made it again (exact same recipe).

I was horribly disappointed in the second batch. It has a sour/bitter aftertaste that the first one didn't have. I'm not sure if its the same thing you are describing but it makes me not want to drink this second batch.

The first batch was gone in under 2 months.

I am curious to find out where I went wrong. I used the same procedures for both. The only difference was that I crushed the heck out of the orange peel and coriander hoping to get a little more flavor. I don't think this had anythign to do with the flavors I am not happy with though.

Sorry, didn't mean to highjack your thread. I guess in short, i have no idea what happened your beer or mine. I just wanted to say that I experienced a similar result.

All beers during and closely after taste way more bitter than they will in the glass. I would say wait and post back if nothing changes (which it probably will).

For yeast_infection...since we are in the extract forum I will assume you are making extract brew. In that case, I would suspect old LME as #1, or a lacto infection as #2 (ironic that someone named yeast infection would get a bacterial infection). But, that is based off of your off the cuff observation, and could be MANY other things.

Both of you should just let em sit a bit and see what you get.

no problem...
more details for those interested...
OG: 1.46
FG: 1.14
used 0.5oz of sweet orange peel at 15min left, and I never took the coriander out since it is ground (in at 1min left)
I had read warnings about using ground vs crushed so only used 1 tsp maybe 2 tsp...
Poured all wort into fermenter, did not strain...fermented great...smelled WONDERFUL...
Tasted at D+13...initially tasted good...then mid way through solid bitterness without any aroma (as designed), bitterness tastes like hop...not rancid
D+19: Same thing
D+23 Will taste tonite....OK I tasted it...still pretty bitter, definitely tastes like hops...unless lacto sort of tastes like hops
Now I'm wondering if I could add some dry hops to get some aroma and try and call it a Wheat IPA...

Do I have enough time? How long would it take?

Back