Help! What is going on with my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimstag

Reaction score
I'm brewing up my first batch, what should be a very tasty Altbier. From the beginning I wasnt sure that it was fermenting. After reading some of these forums I decided that I needed to be patient. After 10 days I opened up the barrel and it looks like the yeast is floating on top. It smells beer like but very sharp. I'm attaching a picture. Any advice would be great!!! photo-3.jpg

Looks normal to me. Some remnants of yeast rafts intermixed with some protein and hop material. Keep it covered up tight, let it age out for another few weeks, and bottle it up.

Yup,just krausen leftovers. The sharp smell is likely just green beer. By that I mean indestinct aromas,as the hops & malts used need time to develope during the entire brewing process from brew kettle to glass.:mug:

Clearly its been fermenting - note krausen remnants on side of bucket. Looks perfectly normal! RDWHAHB

Some of that sharp aroma can come from the layer of residual CO2 in the head space of the fermentor.

+1. If you put your head into the bucket and take a sniff, you WILL have tears in your eyes from your burning nose. I recommend against doing this. :)

Thx for all of the help. Stopped into the brew store today and got a little hydrometer lesson.

Btw.... Too late with the advice about sticking my nose in there!

So.. About that Altbier.. Delicious! Dark carmel color... Smooth, no chunks or odd flavors... Very tasty for my first ever brew!

Thanks again for all of the help.

Back