Stuff floating in bucket of chardonnay must

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to making wine, but have been brewing for a while. When I opened my bucket of bulk juice, it looked like there were little translucent spheres (akin to jellyfish) suspended throughout. It also had some things that looked almost like green barley hulls floating on top. The picture shows them after I added k-meta and stirred (just in case), where they look shredded and have floated to the top.

Is this normal, or indicative of a bad bucket?

Edit: doesn't look like the types of infections I've seen in beer, especially since most of the "jellyfish" were suspended instead of floating on top.

Attachments

• IMG_5793.jpg
    IMG_5793.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5792.jpg
    IMG_5792.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 0
It looks like polyphenols and proteins from the grapes. Nothing to worry about.
Good to hear! The store owner took down my info and said to make the wine. If it goes to crap, he'll give me a refund.

Edit: Owner just called me back after talking to the supplier. They said scrape it off and they'll refund either now or later if it goes south. I don't think I've had that kind of follow-through from a business in years.

Last edited:
Back