Help tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
So I am going out of town tomorrow afternoon for a week. My beer has been in primary for 8 days with a dry hop of 4 days. Should I leave it for the week in primary or transfer it to a keg and let it sit on carb pressure for the week. Is there an up or down side to eithet

I'm a fan of shorter dry hop periods, but 8 days is pretty short for your fermentation.

Is the beer at terminal gravity?

Essentially you're trading a potential loss of hop aroma for potentially racking a beer too early.

So I am going out of town tomorrow afternoon for a week. My beer has been in primary for 8 days with a dry hop of 4 days. Should I leave it for the week in primary or transfer it to a keg and let it sit on carb pressure for the week. Is there an up or down side to eithet

Leave it alone

Carb when you get back

Its waaaaay to early to even think about kegging; at the earliest people bottle/keg at 14 days and even that is to early for me I like 3/4 weeks before I even think about carbing

Its definitely at terminal. 1.010. My biggest concern is 1. Losing to much aroma or acuiring be vegital flavors from to long a dry hop. 2. If I don't leave it will the yeast not have time to clean up unwanted flavors

Keg now and add a little priming sugar to scavenge oxygen.

When it's done it's done. Don't wait until day X.

Its definitely at terminal. 1.010. My biggest concern is 1. Losing to much aroma or acuiring be vegital flavors from to long a dry hop. 2. If I don't leave it will the yeast not have time to clean up unwanted flavors

What are you dry hopping with?

you can dry hop for extended periods with no problem such as 1, 2, or 3 weeks, so i wouldn't worry about that. I've done up to 2/3 weeks with amarillo, chinook, centennial. etc....the beers all tasted great

I would worry more about your #2, not giving the beer enough time to run its course.

Its essentially a smash beer. Its 2 row with a little carapils for body. And all comet hops. Even though ive been all graining for years and have gotten into water chem. I think my biggest hurdle is patience. I should have let it sit and then dry hopped when I got back then kegged 4 days after that. Huh? But yeah I am definitely leaning toward leaving it in primary (temp controlled btw) cuz I don't think vegital flavors will happen

Simcoe
I am posting to subscribe. I have used comet for bittering but not for later additions. I would like to know how this turns out.

Its essentially a smash beer. Its 2 row with a little carapils for body. And all comet hops. Even though ive been all graining for years and have gotten into water chem. I think my biggest hurdle is patience. I should have let it sit and then dry hopped when I got back then kegged 4 days after that. Huh? But yeah I am definitely leaning toward leaving it in primary (temp controlled btw) cuz I don't think vegital flavors will happen

Patience is a virtue indeed.

Go with what you said, leaving it in primary

I'd rack to a keg, mix some corn sugar (half of what you would use if bottling) and get it carbed while you're on vacation. 4 days is good for a dry hop, I think that's better than taking the hops out and letting it sit for a week. Definitely better than leaving the hops in there for another week.

I keg all my beers and I mostly carb with corn sugar, just hit it with a little co2 to seal the lid.

Well I have no way of taking the hops out other than racking to secondary. I don't use a bag or anything for primary dry hopping

Back